News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Black Friday: Is a small projector to watch streaming content a good idea?

Posted on OscarCP Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box Fun Stuff Black Friday: Is a small projector to watch streaming content a good idea?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I have received, from a company I have bought some of their display gear before, an email with a Black Friday advert for a new projector that can be used for presentations or to show movies and streamed shows on a portable projection screen rather than on a monitor. The projector in question is not expensive (at least during the Black Friday sales) and has a LED lamp that is said to be good for 10,000 hours, which looks promising, as that means one may never have to worry about replacing it. A reasonably priced portable projection screen is going to be larger than the screen of any reasonably priced monitor, this being the main attractive for me of getting one along with the projector. I am not talking about a very large screen, just one modestly sized, large enough to fit comfortably inside my modestly sized living room.

Someone reading this might be using a projector at home to show movies, etc., so maybe I could get an answer here to this question: Is using a projector to show movies and streamed shows on a modestly sized projection screen that can fit comfortably inside a modestly sized living room a: (a) good idea, (b) bad idea or (c) …?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2012244 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’ve used a projector and a TV. I’d choose a newish flat screen TV these days.
        If you want a big screen go to the cinema.

cheers, Paul

• #2012357 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

You won’t get as good of picture quality with a projector as you will with a decent flat-screen TV.

Tonight is Black Friday. Go to Walmart tonight and get yourself a nice big-screen TV at a great price.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #2012530 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul_T and Mr.JimPhelps:

I did not know that there are curved portable screens. Given the choice, I would use a flat one, as it probably takes less space and also may be easier to store away. I don’t watch TV anymore (oddly enough, I can’t stand the ads cutting in the middle of a show any longer), so a TV, large or small, expensive or otherwise, is not something I want to buy to use as a monitor purely to watch videos in a largish screen (say a 50″ – 70″ one; for other purposes, I already have an OK 17″ monitor). For what I have seen already, the lower resolution might not be much of a problem for me, although I’ll keep this in mind.

Are there other problems with using a projector-screen combination to watch streaming video that I should know about?

• #2012534 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

You will need a projector AND a screen, as opposed to just a TV. And if anyone walks in front of the projector, it will block the picture from getting to the screen.

There are some rear projection systems, but your screen will be more expensive in those cases, and you won’t be able to put the screen up against the wall, it will have to come out some.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
        • #2012540 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks: “against the wall” looks good to me. The shows can be watched from behind the projector, with it arranged so there is no need for anyone to get between it and the screen. I am not expecting large audiences, maybe two or three other people, or just myself.

• #2012541 Reply
        jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

What will you use for the audio component? The built-in speakers in most projectors are horrible.

Blacks are horrible for most projectors; contrast ratios are nasty. Your room must be dark in order to have even a semi-decent viewing experience.

It does sound like your mind is made up though.  🙂

• #2012550 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks: The kind of projector I have in mind is a fairly basic one without speakers (e.g., the “ViewSonic M1 mini” LED projector). For speakers I can use either those built in the PC, or external speakers connected to the PC. The home theater is going to be setup in my modestly-sized living room.

I live in a quiet and friendly apartment building, and my neighbors and I like to keep it that way. So no megawatt equipment with a shock-and-awe woofer is either intended, or needed.

• #2012552 Reply
            jabeattyauditor
            AskWoody Lounger

The kind of projector I have in mind is a fairly basic one without speakers (e.g., the “ViewSonic M1 mini” LED projector).

That a 250-lumen projector – that’s about enough light output to replace a nightlight.

A good projector will throw 3-4000 lumens.

Output resolution is 854 x 480 – that’s barely VGA.

The projector you’re considering is a toy.

• #2012554 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

jabeattyauditor: You are entirely right! My confusion. I might have actually seen the specs of different projector by mistake.

If a projector comes with speakers and these are bad ones, I would wonder if they can be turned off.

All the same, I am interested in getting a TBD projector and a screen, unless that might be problematic, for this or some other some reason. If it is, please, let me know.

• #2012638 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Here’s a review of projectors from a source I trust.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2208118 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I am posting this today in a thread that I started last year, because I receive, from time to time, emails from Viewsonic, a company I bought a large-screen monitor several years ago and I let  these emails continue to come, in case there is something interesting being offered in them.

Besides new large-screen monitors, many of those emails are about projectors to watch movies on DVD or streamed, and today I received one of those emails for this projector:

PX706HD that might be OK for me.

I would appreciate anyone who comments on this projector with some advice as whether it looks like a good thing to buy, as I cannot test the thing, but have to buy it online, it not being offered by the brick-and-mortar shops near where I live.

It is described as a “gaming projector” (which sounds OK for “theater”, as I would use a projector), with a full-HD resolution and “short-throw”, the latter, in this case, meaning that it can illuminate an screen up to 120 inches diagonally (about 3.5 m), from 2 m, and with a range of 1 – 2 meters, so it looks like it can accommodate a smaller 60″ one at closest proximity, as well. There is also, as one would expect, adjustments knobs for centering and sizing the imagen.

It costs $US640, it comes with an USB connector to plug onto a a PC as well as two HDMI sockets to use HDMI cables for the same purpose. The lamp is rated at a maximum brightness of 4000 lumen and, at full power, to last some 4000 hours, which for me would be well over three years. At reduced power, it can last almost four times longer. It has one speaker, that at 5 W, is not overwhelmingly impressive, but can be turned off using, instead, a 3.5 mm “audio out” socket for plugging in external speakers or headphones.

The fuller specs can be seen here:

https://productz.com/en/viewsonic-px706hd-projector

and this review explain some things in further detail

https://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PX706HD-review.htm

• #2208171 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

I am thinking you could buy a 65 inch TV for that price these days but no info on projectors, sorry.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2208207 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Wavy,

Thanks. That is the other possibility and was mentioned earlier, here by MrJimPhelps and Paul T: buying a large-screen TV and connecting it via and HDMI cord to my laptop.

Whether I would also use the TV to actually watch TV is another matter and one I am just starting to study, because I rather do without TV, as I do not watch it anymore, (last time was a presidential debate, over three years ago) and I much rather pay a lot less per month for just the Internet service and nothing else, if I also can figure out that VOIP can work reliable for me.

But if I decided to buy a projector, this one seems, to my ignorant eyes, like it might be a good choice. But, again, “ignorant eyes.”

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Black Friday: Is a small projector to watch streaming content a good idea?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.