News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Blacklight Website Privacy Inspector

Posted on Lars220 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Code Red – Security/Privacy advisories Blacklight Website Privacy Inspector

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Lars220
        AskWoody Lounger

Privacy Advisory that I think might be interesting for any concerned.
        Be forewarned, checking through following website may be scary (?)
        Thanks to Tom Hawack who said on October 15, 2020 at the ghacks net website mentioning a fairly new (22 Sep 2020) Privacy Instpector site:

Blacklight

A Real-Time Website Privacy Inspector – By Surya Mattu

“Who is peeking over your shoulder while you work, watch videos, learn, explore, and shop on the internet? Enter the address of any website, and Blacklight will scan it and reveal the specific user-tracking technologies on the site—and who’s getting your data. You may be surprised at what you learn. “

https://themarkup.org/ask-the-markup/2020/09/22/i-scanned-the-websites-i-visit-with-blacklight-and-its-horrifying-now-what

P.S. the AskWoody website checks out very clean, Thank You Woody.
        P.P.S. also do not forget about checking url at VirusTotal website.

3 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2304546 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Nice find and share @Lars220 [now bookmarked]
        now you’ve got me checking all my bookmark links LOL
        Interesting and humorous results

IPONWEB
        ……Digiday called IPONWEB’s founder “the Godfather of Ad Tech.

my bolding
        Nice to see my chosen browser extensions work as intended 😉

Win8.1 Pro | Linux Hybrids | Win7 Pro O/L | WinXP O/L
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2304590 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I have been using the page linked below for a while, to check on URL of sites, for example before pasting them to a comment here at AskWoody, to make sure it is safe to click on for those who would be interested in having a look to what is there:

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=lnks.gd%2Fl

It was recommended some time ago here, at AskWoody, by some of the loungers and maybe also some MVPs. Does any one have comments on how effective in spotting compromised sites “transparencyreport” might be these days?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

• #2304719 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Spotting compromised sites can be very difficult if the culprit is a 3rd party ad. One of the many reasons to use an ad blocker.

cheers, Paul

• #2304974 Reply
        Lars220
        AskWoody Lounger

Just a few more random ideas concerning Privacy, Security, and Websites that might spark some educational discussion ideas about Best Practices, and general internet safety.

Remember to hover cursor pointer over links, and read the address, usually in lower left, sometimes eleswhere. If link url = Uniform Resource Locator address looks suspicious, then be safe and avoid, or copy – paste into the VirusTotal url scanner or one of the scanners in the Free Tools article referenced below.
        Also consider using a browser extension that shows a flag in or near the url address bar that indicates the website server location. You should want to learn what the flags of North Korea, Iran, Communist China, and Russia look like, you know, just to be aware. Check the Attachment: Flag Test.jpg for a Quiz, no answers given, but you should know – before the Final Exam.

For Firefox consider: Flagfox

For Chromium based browsers, Chrome, Edge, Brave, Opera, consider:
        Country Flags & IP WHOIS

Following is more for use by the website owners as opposed to those visiting the website, the information is interesting though, and I hope Woody will not be upset that I ran a Vulnerability Test from the Pentest Tools website. I attached a PDF report that has some notes to read.

11 Online Free Tools to Scan Website Security Vulnerabilities & Malware

By Chandan Kumar on March 21, 2020

“There were many questions about how to scan for website security, mobile app vulnerabilities, so here you go. In this article, I will list out some of the best tools to scan your site for security vulnerabilities, malware, and online threats.”

Website Vulnerability Scanner from Pentest-Tools

“The Light version of the Website Vulnerability Scanner performs a passive web security scan in order to detect issues like: outdated server software, insecure HTTP headers, insecure cookie settings and a few others (see the complete list of tests below).”

Note that at the Pentest Tools website, I need to decrease the Zoom of the browser to 80% so that the actual test window displays properly, and the box to scan works ok.

Attachments:
    Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Blacklight Website Privacy Inspector

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.