News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Blocking Win 10 update at start-up?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Blocking Win 10 update at start-up?

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Slightly different question on blocking updates. I have a new HP Spectre which I bought for my wife. She looked at it, once, and said she didn’t want it. So it has lain for a month or two on a shelf, hasn’t even been switched on. Now it occurs to me that if I boot it up Windows will try to install the latest updates. If I’d thought about it earlier I could have blocked the updates until July, but frankly I was trying not to think about it at all.

So the question is does Windows install the update at boot up before I can interfere? Or would I have time to get to the settings before any updating is done? Failing that could I prevent it from calling home at boot-up?

Any ideas much appreciated.

• #2277112 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Just don’t connect the laptop to the Internet / wi-fi.
        create a local account (not Microsoft account)
        Go over all settings, privacy…
        Go to settings and deffer Windows Update.

After these steps you can connect the laptop to the Internet.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Alex5723.
      • #2277137 Reply
        WSMasterK9ATL
        AskWoody Plus

If it has been a long time since the PC was turned on, you are going to have a ton of updates to be installed before you even get to the v2004 update. The other question is: Is it WIN 10 OS? If not, v2004 is no issue for you. However, you will want to Google for the WIN 10 Media Creation tool and upgrade as Win 7 and earlier versions are no longer supported so your setup would be unsecure.

First – No, the updates don’t magically appear from nowhere and install as soon as you boot the PC. They will first have to be downloaded from Microsoft before they can be installed. If it has been a long time since the last boot, it will take a long time for all of the updates to be identified, downloaded, and installed. It could take hours to complete. You would have plenty of time to choose to defer updates.

Second – You could boot the PC without connecting to Ethernet or Wireless which would prevent the download of any updates but, in todays world, it kind of defeats the purpose to even turn the PC on if you aren’t going to be able to access the outside world.

Third – Microsoft finally got wise and background downloads some widget that checks the software and hardware of your PC and lets you know if you are a candidate for the v2004 update, places an advisement on the update page and sends a profile of your setup to Microsoft if you are not. v2004 is still being modified and if you machine is not ready, your download and install will defer itself. Eventually, your PC will become a candidate and the install should go well.

Originally, I had serious issues with the v2004 update (before Microsoft put in the background checker) but v2004 is now installed and my machine works perfectly well.

• #2277326 Reply
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the responses. It’s about 10 weeks since I got the laptop, and maybe 7 weeks since I last booted it up. I can’t remember which version of Win 10 is installed, in fact the whole Win 10 update system baffles me, and what little I’ve seen of it I think it baffles quite a few in MS too.

• #2277408 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Fire it up without connecting to the internet, then run “winver” and let us know what version you have. (Win R, winver)

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Blocking Win 10 update at start-up?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.