News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Blue screen

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Blue screen

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Zaphyrus 1 month ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello, today I was wondering if you can crash a computer if you shut it down and not letting it load properly

So you see, yesterday there was a blackout in my house for two hours, I, worried about my computer (windows 10, 1903 dell inspiron 5558) turned it on  and waited to see if everything was ok,  after checking that,  I noticed my computer was still loading some things, I didn’t care and ordered it to shut down, after a while, while shutting down a blue screen appeared (critical process died)  so my question is,   Can a computer crash if you dont allow it to load properly  when you shut it down?

or should i make some exams to my computer?

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    • #1983275 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Can a computer crash if you dont allow it to load properly when you shut it down?

Heh. Sure it can, in the general case. Better question is, should it, and when?

I mean, there are situations where crashing is the better option. Usually these are related to hardware initialization, fault tolerance or error recovery. Not having a consistent state to save or a safely writable disk to save to, and one reason to do a shutdown being imminent power loss…

And hardware initialization and error recovery often happen during startup, after all.

That said, it’s been happening *much* too frequently on Windows, for the last couple of decades at least.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1983278 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

So in a twisted way, its a normal and expected behavior?

• #1983288 Reply

mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

More like a common problem that usually isn’t at all serious on its own, but sometimes might be a symptom of something else.

• #1983405 Reply

Zaphyrus
            AskWoody Lounger

I see, thank you Mn,  I will now test my computer to check everything is alright!

• #1983726 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Worth running a disk check to confirm all is well.
      Right click on C: in Explorer.
      Properties > Tools > Check.

cheers, Paul

• #1983774 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Paul, I will do it!

• #1983775 Reply

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

after doing a bunch of test (memory, sfc scan, dism, check disk)

apparently everything is alright which means  the day before yesterday was a scare

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Blue screen

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.