News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Blue Screen & More Can’t back up computer

Posted on Cararta Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Blue Screen & More Can’t back up computer

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Cararta
        AskWoody Plus

Don’t know where to get help.
        Need a CD (buy) that contains what I need to fix my Dell optiplx GX620 XP upgraded to Win7 Pro.  I have no restore places….
        Latest thing I noticed is C drive was partitioned  C: and D: (for backups? and system files?) 

D is no longer listed, has been delegated down to being a cd dvd ? drive
        Tried to upgrade to  Win10 failed (graphics) back when the deadline was to update for free.

Ever since cooling Fan runs  on HI, tried to backup and it failed backup, Then Blue Screen of death recently started. 
        I’m 80 and desperate… Bought a  WD passport 4TB 2 copy files I need from the computer…even though it takes forever.  However found the empty box after the plumber left from re-fixing the leaking sink.
        (must replace the floor of the cabinet…melted from the water..some kind of fabricated board…different problem.
        Have a copy of what my computer is supposed to be somewhere.

will try to find and send.
        Know it was 64 Win7 Pro with sp1 .   I think.

EDITED: html to text Content may not read as intended

• #2277129 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

back when the deadline was to update for free.

Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 is still free.
        In order to upgrade you need your Windows 7 license (usually on a sticker on the PC or on Windows 7 CD.)
        About 20GB of free space for Windows 10 and your Windows 7 backup created during the upgrade (so you can go back to Windows 7).
        If you can boot go to Disk Management , save a screenshot and post here.
        Usually and recommended, C partition is for Windows OS and installed software while D partition is for data (pictures, music, documents, backup files…)

First thing to do before the upgrade is creating a full image backup of your PC using a free backup software like Macrium Reflect.

The easier way maybe taking your PC to a PC repair shop to do the upgrade for you.

• #2277131 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Have you made a full backup of your PC to the external disk? (This will not be fast on your machine)

Does the fan run at full speed as soon as you turn the PC on, or after some time?

How often do you get a BSOD? Are you doing anything particular when it happens?

cheers, Paul

• #2277138 Reply
        satrow
        AskWoody MVP

If you have a CD or DVD drive and it’s still functioning, it will automatically become D: (+E:, +F:, etc. if you have multiple optical drives). If you now see that C: and D: are each different parts of your hard drive, then the CD/DVD drive is probably malfunctioning or has become disconnected.

If you can hear the cooling fans running fast, then the computer is probably struggling to keep cool – either the fan heatsinks have become clogged with airborne dust/fibres, or one of the fans has broken, forcing the other(s) to work harder. It’s mid Summer in the Northern Hemisphere right now, any recent BSOD occurrences are very likely down to overheating.

If you can release and open the computer case/side, you can point a household cooling fan into it, so that you can complete any file backups, etc. with a lower chance of a BSOD. Carefully check inside the case for signs of dust/fluff that might be preventing cooling.

• #2277189 Reply
        cmptrgy
        AskWoody Plus

I can relate to almost being 80 and can understand when it comes to PC’s, desperation can be a factor.

You have a Dell Optiplx GX620 originally XP upgraded to Windows 7 Pro SP1

Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX620 Systems User’s Guide. According to this manual, you have a CD drive.
        https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-gx620_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Dell™ OptiPlex™ GX620 Quick Reference Guide is dated September 2006
        https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-gx620_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

The issues are
        “Tried to upgrade to Win10 failed (graphics) back when the deadline was to update for free”
        “Ever since cooling Fan runs on HI, tried to backup and it failed backup, Then Blue Screen of death recently started.”

Save your data no matter how long it takes. Let us know what office program you use.
        — Maybe getting into Safe Mode would be more helpful but someone else more adept than me would have to chime in on that.

Clean the dust bunnies out of the tower & around the fans. Also look at the CPU heat sink and ensure the space between the heat sink fins are clean. When you do that, if the heat sink or the fan on top of the heat sink is/are loose, that will need to be addressed.

However, I recommend looking for a more up-to-date PC: used, refurbished or new.
        — If you still prefer to fix the issues on the PC, that’s ok.
        What it will cost you in time, $$$ and the possibility of hardware & software issues can easily become counter-productive.
        — The $$$ itself may not become expensive but it could be used toward a reliable more up-to-date PC.

When you want to create backups, do not use Windows built-in backup process.
        — Use 3rd party backup software such as Macrium Reflect as has been recommended.

HP EliteBook 8540w laptop Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Blue Screen & More Can’t back up computer

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.