News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Book – Setting up Windows 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Book – Setting up Windows 10

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        DWC121
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi folks,

I am getting a new Windows 10 (Pro) within the next few weeks. Setting up Windows is not like it used to be (I go way back to the IBM-XT days and DOS. And did programming in RPGII). Nowadays, there is a myriad of possible settings to apply when setting up Windows. Some helpful; some not so helpful; and some disastrous. Things _LIKE_ Microsoft Account, Local account, and using a combination of both. Then there are settings to briefly disable updates based on the version of the OS. Setting up BitLocker, backing up using Windows 10 (or by other means after doing a download such as EaseUs ToDo, Carbonite, etc), Firewall and Security settings (before downloading your own Firewall and security programs), and getting back the familiar Win 7 start button, Win Explorer search, etc. I’m VERY sure there are other Windows 10 options I haven’t even thought about!

Is there a “good” Windows 10 setup book on the market? (the word “good” is relative) Something like “Windows 10 For Dummies”? For me, Win 10 Pro, but any Win edition would be good. Printed books are great, especially if your PC is not yet set up properly.

Thanks!
        David

b
        AskWoody MVP

Until book recommendations arrive, you could look at Susan Bradley’s free newsletter article less than a year ago:

Setting up a new PC: The first steps

And the AskWoody Lounge comments which followed it with further suggestions.

The difficulty with a hardcopy book on Windows 10 is keeping it up-to-date with new versions twice each year, but Paul Thurrott’s Windows Field Guide is a reasonable compromise at $9.99:

Windows 10 Field Guide

A New Support Plan for the Windows 10 Field Guide

1 user thanked author for this post.
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

I choose local account.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

DWC121
          AskWoody Lounger

krism – I understand there is a way to switch between using a local account and a Microsoft account. I’ll be getting the Pro version which has a few options I like, but they’re available only in the Pro version and only when using a Microsoft account. I’m not too terribly fond of Microsoft “controlling” me, but I was brought up using the Windows OS.

Hopefully I’ll be able to setup my PC the way I want it to work. The Windows Field guide and Suan Bradley’s article (mentioned in earlier posts) will help. Even though Windows has updates and options change during the year, I would still like to find a print book. Kind of hard to use an e-version before the PC is set up (unless I keep two machines running). Even if a print book gets out of date in a matter of several months, most of the information in a book will help. If something changes, at least I would have read something I was not aware of previously.

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

IMO, for individual users Home does all you need and the $100 can be spent on a better video card / external disk for backup.

cheers, Paul

krism
              AskWoody Plus

@Paul, that is probably true. I think once I got a home edition long ago and then wound up getting the pro. Now I get pro just in case. Was it group policy and such that wasn’t in home? I forget.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

Group policy and Bitlocker are missing from Home.

GP can be mimicked via registry changes and “metered” network.

Bitlocker can be replaced by Veracrypt – see the Backup with Veracrypt thread.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
            krism
            AskWoody Plus

I would suggest, instead of a book, to use a forum like askwoody each time you have a question. it is current, and after about 6 questions you will be a pro.

Using search here, and at other forums, can save you a ton of time. There used to be MS’s technet which changed to something else but when you type in the question you have it gives you a list of possible posts to look at for solutions. If the answer’s not there, though, I would not rely on that – used to be good and quick but not so much these days, and slow, ime.

Also a simple google will get you tons of ideas if not answers.

Go for it!!! 🙂

DWC121
              AskWoody Lounger

I do a lot of googling (and double-check anything I find). I will occasionally search the askwoody forum and other forums. Unfortunately, there might be something I’m not even aware of, and consequently, I would not be able to search for an answer. A search is only good for what you know you want to search for.

b
            AskWoody MVP

Even though Windows has updates and options change during the year, I would still like to find a print book. Kind of hard to use an e-version before the PC is set up (unless I keep two machines running). Even if a print book gets out of date in a matter of several months, most of the information in a book will help. If something changes, at least I would have read something I was not aware of previously.

Ed Bott’s “Windows 10 Inside Out” book is quite up-to-date:

Windows 10 Inside Out, 4th Edition is now available in a Kindle version. (The print copies should be available to ship any day now.)

Buy my new book! (Please.)

[November 15, 2020]

RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

How about this book by a guy we all know and love!

Windows 10 All-in-One for dummies! Woody Leonhard.
        ISBN: 978-1-119-48483-7

I’ve read it from cover to cover and it’s great IMHO.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

DWC121
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Woody! (wink-wink) AND it is available in a store near me! I will soon have a new book in my “reading room”, to go along with my recently received nursery catalogs.

DWC121
            AskWoody Lounger

Well, Woody, I bought the book and it has given me a lot of useful information. THANKS!!

My new Windows 10 Pro was delivered today. Not ready to set it up yet, but I hope to in the next 5-7 days. Kind of hard for me though. Work 60 hours a week (telecommute – Oracle DB admin), volunteer as a Curator at our local Museum, maintenance on my 170-year-old house, and getting the yard ready for Spring. Some of my co-workers in Information Technology offered me some tips. Unfortunately, they all had differing opinions so the book is really a big help to me.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Book – Setting up Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.