News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Boot Hangs. Then Forced Boot Works

Posted on shornoff Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 2004 – May 2020 Update Boot Hangs. Then Forced Boot Works

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        shornoff
        AskWoody Plus

Using Windows 10 Pro 2004. When I turn my computer on it hangs at The first screen that says DELL. The Hard drive light is fully on. No flicker however long I wait.

I press and hold the power button until the screen goes blank. Press the power button again and it loads windows just fine. It also will reboot with no problem.

It is not a 2004 problem. Had the same problem before 2004 was installed.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• #2298207 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

How old is the computer? Have you replaced the CMOS battery?

• #2298230 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

Most likely a ‘damaged sector on hard drive’ problem. The POST sequence cannot find the location of the MBR boot code reliably so resorts to the backup location. Once it uses the undamaged backup then no problem… it runs the boot code and hands control over to the Windows kernel to evaluate hardware and further process the boot sequence. Reboot just uses info where last known boot code was stored. You need to run a full disk check for HDD sector integrity… but this is just a guess.

• #2298325 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I would do a BIOS factory reset first.

Win10 doesn’t use a boot sector, it searches for files in the Boot folder, so this is a less likely scenario.
        Still worth downloading the disk diags from the manufacturer and testing the disk.

You may see errors in Windows Event Viewer. Let us know what you find.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Boot Hangs. Then Forced Boot Works

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.