News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Bootable USB flash drives, Windows 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Bootable USB flash drives, Windows 10

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        opti1
        AskWoody Plus

I’m curious. I have a couple of new Windows 10 installations coming up, one to configure and one to install.

What type of USB flash drives do you all buy and use to create bootable USB drives for creating Windows 10 installation drives, Macrium Reflect rescue drives, etc.?

Any old 8GB or higher drive?

USB 3.0, 3.1? USB-A, USB-C?

Regular stick of gum size or the small thumb nail size drives?

For example, are the cheap Micro Center drives OK? Or do you stick with SanDisk, Samsung, PNY, Kingston, etc.?

Does the creation of the installation or rescue drive automatically format each USB drive appropriately for its use or do I always have to make sure the drive is properly formatted ahead of time?

Thanks!

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve found regardless of flash drive brand, these flash drives have a limited shelf life. One day they work; the next day they don’t work. That said, I usually stick with Samsung or Kingston for any flash drive operations. Flash drives are computer confetti; no one expects them to last. I keep used and unused ones in a desk drawer for handy access.

Regarding size for bootable flash drives, I use 16GB as 8GB is required. Go small.

Formatting is done by the “create recovery drive” function prior to placing the operating system on the disk. Anything on that drive is overwritten.

BetaTest {Got backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.746 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox85.0b9 WindowsDefender TRV=2004 WuMgr
        • This reply was modified 5 days, 15 hours ago by geekdom.
        • This reply was modified 5 days, 15 hours ago by geekdom.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Bootable USB flash drives, Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.