News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Born: Here’s why the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 still works

Home Forums AskWoody blog Born: Here’s why the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 still works

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  alphakry 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

It’s one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry: You can still upgrade from a licensed copy of Win7 to Win10 for free. The how is easy: Almost ever
      [See the full post at: Born: Here’s why the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 still works]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2012978 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Plus

So… Is Micro$oft holding on to hope that the remaining Win7 & Win8.1 users will take the hint to upgrade to Win10 1909, 2004, or afterwards? If so, they better also hope that 2004 doesn’t revert to the traditional Win10 bugginess… or I’m moving to Linux! Mint or some other flavor I trust… Win10 2004 is M$’s Last Chance to keep me in the Windows fold.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, back in Group A... & leaning toward Windows 10 V1909. As long as it's a Lot Less Buggy!
      Wild Bill Rides Again...

• #2012986 Reply

joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Do not be put off by what you read in a forum such as this. There are many more people using Windows 10 without problems than those you read here. Many if not most of the problems you see are specific to a particular configuration. That may include both hardware and other software too. Not only just the software but the order in which software is installed can have an effect.

I have been in the Insider program for over 5 years. That means I install a pre-release version of Windows 10 almost every week. I have had very few serious problems. Not even one per year. Yes, because it is pre-release some features may not work entirely correctly but hardly what I’d call a show stopper. Are there frustrations and inconsistencies in Windows 10? ABSOLUTELY YES. But there were with every prior version of Windows I’ve ever used.

If you decide to upgrade to Windows 10 be sure to do a complete image backup of your system. Then you’ll have a point to which you can return should disaster strike.

--Joe

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2013610 Reply

steeviebops
          AskWoody Lounger

Agree 100% Joe. I hated Windows 10 when it came out. I tried LTSB 2016 for a while but encountered a few show-stopping issues. 1607 is, in my opinion, a terrible build; its update mechanism (which still haunts Server 2016 and LTSB to this day) is excruciatingly slow. I rolled back to 8.1 and didn’t touch it again until 1809 came out. Despite the doom and gloom about 1809 at the time, I had no trouble whatsoever. 1903 was relatively painless (except for the VMware Workstation block, which was worked around) and 1909 has been harmless too.

The bad experiences always drown out the good ones.

• #2012989 Reply

pHROZEN gHOST
      AskWoody Lounger

The answer is simple. Microsoft still needs home users (aka free beta testers).

Byte me!

• #2013018 Reply

anonymous

I’ve got big doubts a w7-w10 upgrade will even work on my samsung computer. A free w7-w8.1 workaround would be interesting 🙂

• #2013042 Reply

anonymous

Woody – please stop spreading information like without understanding the ramifications. If an upgrade is done this way it is NOT AUDITABLE. MICROSOFT DOES NOT LEGALLY ALLOW THESE UPGRADES IN AN ENTERPRISE ENVIRONMENT. Home use is fine, obviously.

• #2013109 Reply

anonymous

I think the answer is simple. There would have been people who were reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10, so they deliberately kept a way to upgrade for free. I myself refused to use Windows 10 for years. And it was just this past May that I upgraded all my 7 and 8.1 machines to Windows 10 using the exact method outlined here. By using the Media Creation Tool. I didn’t think it was going to work, but it did and my 7 and 8.1 activations carried over to 10. When I built my new PC a few months back I was able to use an unactivated Windows 7 license for 10 which surprised me as well.

• #2013119 Reply

anonymous

Didn’t work.  Download stopped at 37%.

• #2013537 Reply

PerthMike
        AskWoody Plus

Didn’t work.  Download stopped at 37%.

More likely a timeout on the download than an issue with the install unless you have incompatible hardware (check your CPU, etc compatibility). Older CPUs, even the ones that upgraded to the initial 2015 version of Windows 10 may no longer work on newer Windows 10 editions.

Why do you think hardware vendors are pushing Windows 10 so hard? Because Microsoft ensured built-in obsolescence, guaranteeing users would have to update their hardware every 2-4 years just to keep Windows 10 working, whereas Windows 7 would work on hardware older than 10 years+.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  PerthMike.
        • #2013598 Reply

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

guaranteeing users would have to update their hardware every 2-4 years just to keep Windows 10 working

How do you explain >5 year old hardware happily running W10?

cheers, Paul

• #2013611 Reply

jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Why do you think hardware vendors are pushing Windows 10 so hard?

Because it’s the only Windows OS they’re allowed to sell?

• #2013455 Reply

anonymous

Win7 Pro

OEM key.

I’m curious which version of 10 I’d end up with, if I chose to “upgrade” this way. Unfortunately, the info article doesn’t say anything about that.

If I’d end up with the Enterprise version I’d be tempted to do it.

• #2013459 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You have to upgrade to the same Edition you have installed. Home -> Home, Pro -> Pro. If you have Win7 Enterprise you would upgrade to Win10 Enterprise.

As to the Version you would get, it would be the current one which is Win10 v1909 if you use the Media Creation Tool. If you have an ISO, you would get the version represented by the ISO.

• #2013534 Reply

PerthMike
        AskWoody Plus

Win7 Pro

OEM key.

I’m curious which version of 10 I’d end up with, if I chose to “upgrade” this way. Unfortunately, the info article doesn’t say anything about that.

You NEVER end up with Enterprise without an Enterprise key, as you need to download the special ISO from Microsoft’s licencing site. This is because Enterprise is NOT free, even as an upgrade. To use Enterprise, you need either a volume licence agreement or an E3/E5 licence with SA.

The normal download methods don’t include the Enterprise edition.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• #2014069 Reply

alphakry
          AskWoody Lounger

Win7 Pro

OEM key.

You NEVER end up with Enterprise without an Enterprise key, as you need to download the special ISO from Microsoft’s licencing site. This is because Enterprise is NOT free, even as an upgrade. To use Enterprise, you need either a volume licence agreement or an E3/E5 licence with SA.

The normal download methods don’t include the Enterprise edition.

During a recent visit to Microsoft’s VLA website, I noticed the most recent windows 10 iso files being the exact same for enterprise as they were pro. I’m not sure how long that’s been but it doesn’t appear to use a different ISO file anymore… it seems purely based on the key you enter during install.

• #2013613 Reply

anonymous

Activation =/= License. It won’t hold in audit.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2014058 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m actually somewhat concerned about the original automatic upgrades holding up in an audit, too – most people probably didn’t get any independently verifiable paperwork from it.

And this happened in a lot of small businesses, some of which have grown rapidly since…

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Born: Here’s why the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 still works

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel