News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Bowden: Win10 version 2004 hits RTM, build 19041 – but don’t bring out the confetti

Home Forums AskWoody blog Bowden: Win10 version 2004 hits RTM, build 19041 – but don’t bring out the confetti

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        woody
        Da Boss

Per Zac Bowden at Windows Central, Win10 version 2004 (known as 20H1) is now done. Here’s what he said on December 20: 20H1 is done now. As far as I’m
        [See the full post at: Bowden: Win10 version 2004 hits RTM, build 19041 – but don’t bring out the confetti]

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2037189 Reply
        pHROZEN gHOST
        AskWoody Lounger

Based on past results, there MOST LIKELY WILL be issues for some people willing (or forced) to adopt early.

Byte me!

• #2037192 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

No one gets forced to adopt early.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (Pioneer/Chump)

• #2037203 Reply
        pHROZEN gHOST
        AskWoody Lounger

Click on check for updates. And you will be placed in the beta test group.

Byte me!

• #2037208 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

Click on check for updates. And you will be placed in the beta test group.

Even if you classify “check for updates” as “forced”, that’s still wrong; because for the last nine months feature updates have been presented in an optional “Download and install now” section:

“We will provide notification that an update is available and recommended based on our data, but it will be largely up to the user to initiate when the update occurs …. The new ‘Download and install now’ option provides users a separate control to initiate the installation of a feature update on eligible devices with no known key blocking compatibility issues.”
          Bombshell: Updating Win10 will be better — really!

New features that put customers more in control of updates
          Users can still “Check for updates” to get monthly quality and security updates.

Improving the Windows 10 update experience with control

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2037237 Reply
            woody
            Da Boss

That’s exactly what MS promised – and, mirable dictu, exactly what’s happening.

• #2037764 Reply
            pHROZEN gHOST
            AskWoody Lounger

Wrong.

Click check updates and you are put into the insider build group.
            You need to turn off the “get insider builds” in the appropriate settings.

Byte me!

• #2038190 Reply
              rc primak
              AskWoody_MVP

Still, not too difficult to set up.

-- rc primak

• #2038204 Reply
              b
              AskWoody Plus

Wrong.

Click check updates and you are put into the insider build group.
              You need to turn off the “get insider builds” in the appropriate settings.

No one has ever received a “forced” Insider update, as six positive steps are required to start receiving preview builds, and only 2% of Windows 10 users choose to do that:

Install a Windows 10 Insider Preview Build

• #2037207 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

You can join now insider program without a Microsoft account.

https://github.com/whatever127/offlineinsiderenroll

• #2037222 Reply
        ch100
        AskWoody_MVP

I am running it right now. It is stable but not for everyone, as there are still issues with Features on Demand which are not up to date or Store apps.
        One such example is Cortana which comes from the Store as Cortana – Beta version 1.1911.21713.0.
        The Local Experience Packs (Language Features) are not available yet or are older versions.

• #2037297 Reply
        warrenrumak
        AskWoody Plus

Speaking of build 19041, it was never offered to my Insider Preview machine.

I checked my Insider settings and was greeted with this curiosity:

Untitled-1

Attachments:
        • #2037366 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Weird. Were you on Preview ring?

The nomenclature now is enormously confusing.

• #2037461 Reply
            warrenrumak
            AskWoody Plus

I was on Skip Ahead.  Maybe I didn’t get moved back to Fast Ring correctly?

After setting it back to Fast, everything’s working correctly again.

• #2037410 Reply
          ch100
          AskWoody_MVP

You don’t have to be on the Insider Program to use Build 19041.1. It does not have a watermark and these are reasons for some observers to believe that it is the final version before release.
          However at this stage it is not even considered a pre-release in an official sense, so everyone who uses it should do due diligence before going ahead and using 19041 as their main OS version for so-called “production” purpose. For me and my purpose it is “good enough”.

• #2037309 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

Last normal Windows, 8.1, RTMed in August and released in October

they are back to roots 😀

• #2037417 Reply
          ch100
          AskWoody_MVP

Windows 8.1 might be a good version, but due to various reasons it is supported as much as Windows Me used to be – that one also a very good version at its time.
          Third-party software gradually discontinues official support for Windows 8.1, much earlier than the Microsoft official support end date, although in fact that support was there mostly on paper in the first place.
          The only reason Windows 8.1 is still supported well by Microsoft with current patches is due to its kernel sharing with the very well adopted server equivalent, which is Windows 2012 R2, still the most reliable server version to date. Its adoption is declining though due to old age, being slowly replaced with newer 2016 and 2019.
          I would not recommend anyone looking for a new installation to go the Windows 8.1 path, regardless of the technical considerations. Windows 7 users are far better supported in a practical sense in the immediate future even without current patching when compared to Windows 8.1 users.
          For most Windows users, obviously Windows 10 (Pro or preferably Enterprise or Enterprise Education if possible) is the way to go.

• #2037424 Reply
            anonymous

Windows 8.1 is no longer in mainstream support(No feature updates) but still getting security updates until 2023. So it’s a valid option for some and easily fixed with some TIFKAM taming third party UI software to look and act more like Windows 7’s UI.

Windows 7 can be and will be run past its EOL without any further updates just as XP was and still is by some for limited end use cases. If no extended security updates can be obtained for 7 then it’s the Virtual Machine option/sandbox and 7 isolated from the internet inside a VM hosted 7 OS instance for running whatever legacy applications safely and securely as some did with XP as well.

• #2037466 Reply
            warrenrumak
            AskWoody Plus

Statcounter says Windows 8.x is now in the 5% global usage range.  The Steam Hardware Survey has it at under 2.5%.  That’s the point at which a lot of software makers simply stop caring about testing on a platform.

These low numbers also make me think that there might never be extended servicing program for Windows 8.1 like we’re going to have for Windows 7.  If that turns out to be true, then the final EOL date for Windows 8.1 will be January 2023, same as Windows 7.

Server 2012 R2 doesn’t EOL until October 2023, though.  So who knows…..

• #2037346 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

I’ll wait until MS actually announces build 19041 as the RTM build on their Windows Experience blog site (as in the old saying “I’ll believe it when I see it”)

• #2037719 Reply
          ch100
          AskWoody_MVP

No need to rush, unless you feel like experimenting… 🙂

• #2038191 Reply
          rc primak
          AskWoody_MVP

And then I’ll consider upgrading to 1909. No earlier. (Not 20H1, until the next Windows comes out.)

-- rc primak

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by rc primak.
      • #2037349 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

I got 19041.1 on 12/11 with no watermark and 19536.1000 on 12/17 WITH a watermark.

• #2037361 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

The 19536 machine is on the Fast ring – which has been completely redefined, so it’s no longer tied to a specific version. That update appeared on Dec. 16.

• #2037718 Reply
        ch100
        AskWoody_MVP

Statcounter says Windows 8.x is now in the 5% global usage range.  The Steam Hardware Survey has it at under 2.5%.  That’s the point at which a lot of software makers simply stop caring about testing on a platform.

These low numbers also make me think that there might never be extended servicing program for Windows 8.1 like we’re going to have for Windows 7.  If that turns out to be true, then the final EOL date for Windows 8.1 will be January 2023, same as Windows 7.

Server 2012 R2 doesn’t EOL until October 2023, though.  So who knows…..

This is exactly the message which I was trying to send with the valuable addition of supporting stats. 🙂

• #2040661 Reply
        Noel Carboni
        AskWoody_MVP

4 months from “developer pencils down” to “general rollout” seems a good thing. I think I like what the relaxation of the pace because of the v1909 “minor” release did there.

Another 4 months or so after “general rollout” until “conservative user adoption” seems quite reasonable as well.

The 3rd party tools I use that rely on undocumented interfaces have generally become compatible with v1909 now, so when I’m back in the office soon I will likely bring my development system up to v1909. I have VMs and test systems already on it, and not terribly surprisingly it’s actually working OK. It’s more bloated than before, but what are you gonna do? Microsoft’s OS folks have to justify their existence.

Relaxation from “major release every 6 months” to “every year” was so good, anyone up for 2 years? Then we’ll ask for 3 years after that. It will be amazing how well THAT will work.

-Noel

Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Bowden: Win10 version 2004 hits RTM, build 19041 – but don’t bring out the confetti

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.