News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Browsing for Product Information and Reviews

Posted on WSgsmith-plm Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Browsing for Product Information and Reviews

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  wavy 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

WSgsmith-plm
      AskWoody Lounger

No matter what browser or search engine I use, it has become almost impossible to search for product information and reviews without being overwhelmed by sales sites. Sometimes you can precede what you are searching for with the word “best” or append “review” or some other word to the query. But even at the best of times it seems that 80% of what you get are places selling stuff or worse yet product sales masquerading as reviews.

It has reached the point where I have a short list of places that I start with that appear to do honest reviews of products. Problem is that many of these sites go for the “best”, which cost an arm/leg, while ignoring the budget 2nd best items. And even more frustrating are the (often undated) great reviews that are 4-5 years old for products no longer sold.

Has anyone found a way around this other than going to some sales sites and digging through the (sometimes solicited) reviews to try and find something that isn’t crap?

BTW, if anyone knows a better forum category for this, let me know.

• #1591944 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

Try private viewing.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #1591954 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

Try private viewing.

What difference would that make?

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1591999 Reply

wavy
          AskWoody Plus

What difference would that make?

RetiredG s idea would be better in this case. I misinterpreted the question. :p

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1591952 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Graham,

Try this on Google (or google search).

Review: “your product name here” -download

By not returning items including the download keyword it pretty effectively eliminates the sales sites in my experience.

You could also add a -purchase if you choose.

HTH :cheers:

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #1591994 Reply

WSgsmith-plm
        AskWoody Lounger

By not returning items including the download keyword it pretty effectively eliminates the sales sites in my experience.

I do quite a bit of searching using quotes and exclusions, but I’m not sure how excluding “download” would help except perhaps with shareware.

But, I’m going to try using review: “phrase” to see how it does. The one big problem with phrases is that often the best way to find things is with a series of keywords rather than an exact phrase.

• #1591997 Reply

RetiredGeek
          AskWoody MVP

I’m not sure how excluding “download” would help except perhaps with shareware.

Graham,

Most reviews don’t include download links and since most software is now available via downloads vs CD/DVD it pretty well excludes sales sites in my limited experience.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
          Computer Specs

• #1592097 Reply

WSgsmith-plm
            AskWoody Lounger

Most reviews don’t include download links and since most software is now available via downloads vs CD/DVD it pretty well excludes sales sites in my limited experience.

Probably won’t help when looking for toasters, but might for computer related stuff.

I did try starting with review: and it does seem to focus the search more. I also find that using Duck-Duck-Go is somewhat better than Google or Bing.

• #1591953 Reply

WSSudo
      AskWoody Lounger

While I’ll Google for the professional reviews of a product, I’ll check to see if Amazon are selling it then read the customers reviews.

Not sure how many of the good reviews are genuine though, so you have to balance them out.

Depending upon the item I want to buy, in the UK I would probably see what Argos, PC World, Amazon and other similar retailers have on offer and you can usually refine your search by price range and then look for the reviews.

• #1591968 Reply

Coochin
      AskWoody_MVP

Use Google’s Advanced Search which allows you to specify more precisely what webpages will be listed in the search results.

A quick-n-easy way to achieve the same effect is to simply use double-quotes to search for a specific phrase or term.

For example, if I wanted to find reviews of Mozilla FireFox I would enter:

“Mozilla FireFox” review

(with the double-quotes). This will cause Google to list webpages that have the exact term “Mozilla FireFox” and that also have the word “review”.

46792-GoogleAdvanced

Attachments:
    • #1592018 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

RG

I tried:

Review: “ZyXEL USG20W” -download

on google and got less than stellar results. Am I getting it right??

🍻

• #1592032 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

David,

Define: “Less than Stellar”
      46797-googleqry

Now no search is going to guarantee the results you want but it did winnow it down a bit.
      46798-googleqry2

It’s unfortunate but no search engine I know will respond appropriately to Review: “ZyXEL USG20W” -download +”stellar review” 😆

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

Attachments:

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Browsing for Product Information and Reviews

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.