News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Browsing Issues Since 20H2 Upgrade

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 20H2 – October 2020 Update Browsing Issues Since 20H2 Upgrade

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        dgeiser13
        AskWoody Plus

Hi, All,

Around 4/8/2021 Microsoft finally forced Windows 10 version 20H2 onto my main PC.

Around the same time I’ve been having this weird issue when browsing the web where sites which loaded cleanly before are only partially loading, or loading fully with broken images, or not loading at all until I hit re-load on the web browser.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a website I visit every day or a website I only visit occasionally or even a website that I am visiting for the first time.

I currently use Google Chrome as my primary browser and I’m currently using Version 90.0.4430.93.

I know there are a ton of things I can try including re-loading the OS from scratch but before I get into all of that I wanted to see if this basic issue sounded familiar to anyone who also upgraded to 20H2

Thanks,
        Dan

EP
        AskWoody_MVP

latest version of Google Chrome 90 is 90.0.4430.212
        not sure if updating the Chrome app will work

dgeiser13
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, EP.  I will look into that.  I mistakenly assumed that Chrome was current.

John
        AskWoody Plus

@dgeiser13, I’ve had a similar experience since installing 20H2 (Pro) on 11th January.
        I use Firefox as my primary browser, always up to date (within reason) and I use Simple Tab Groups with it. No problems before but since 20H2 install I’ve experienced Firefox freezing on attempted refresh of a page. This happens usually more than once a day and I find if I exit Firefox and restart it, everything frees up.
        Sooner or later the problem surfaces again.
        Occasionally when a page locks, an adjacent one will refresh but usually not.

I wonder if this is the same problem, or a different one. I know I’d dearly love to solve it!

John

Dell Inspiron 7580 i7 16GB Win 10 pro 20H2

dgeiser13
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks, John.  This reminds me to start my troubleshooting with disabling all extensions in Chrome.  The extension I have which sounds similar to yours is called Alternate Tab Order.

LHiggins
        AskWoody Plus

I know that both Firefox and Chrome were mentioned, but I am wondering if this freezing issue might have something to do with the Firefox V88.0 or 88.1. I have been having high disk usage and freezing of Firefox on my Win 7 laptop over the past month or so – suddenly it will freeze and need to be closed via Task Manger and then the laptop rebooted. It happens every few days or so – maybe a different issue, but perhaps it is the browser itself, not 20H2.

That said, I have upgraded my Win 10 Pro laptop to 20H2 and run FF v88.0 on it, and haven’t noticed that freezing issue. So maybe something else?

John
          AskWoody Plus

My experience of the freezing precedes Firefox 88, and probably goes back two or three versions. As you say @LHiggins, Windows 20H2 may just be coincidence.

Dell Inspiron 7580 i7 16GB Win 10 pro 20H2

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

I’m using FF ESR 78.9 and had tabs crashing, something I’ve never had in FF in fifteen years of using it.  Happened when trying to log into accounts and during general browsing over time; fine at first, then constant crashing opening any link.  Open the padlock, dig some and site certificates aren’t loading.  Chromium was doing the same thing, except worse.  I couldn’t access our home server ten feet from me, cert errors.

I experimented with DNS over TLS in my router a few weeks ago and installed the April Win Updates using the Catalog a bit later and that’s when things got weird.  My AV changed versions and lost its certs.  DNS over TLS is just not stable, works fine if every link in the chain supports it, otherwise it may fail gracefully or just crash.  Recent Win updates have cause cert issues in some cases, apparently roll back, then roll forward again restores them.  Same thing with my AV.  This is all really stupid!

So, I uninstalled, then reinstalled Firefox, Chromium, went through all the Windows services and scheduled tasks and found some needed ones (certs?!) disabled (Win Update mangles services/tasks frequently), enabled them, reset the router to defaults and rebooted it twice, also our cable modem (they both have firewalls).  The only thing I didn’t do was remove the Windows Updates.  I reused my FF profile, so I doubt FF itself was the issue.

A guess but in our case a combination of junk left over in the router and Win Updates’ normal abnormal behavior caused the issues.  Two days later with two kids distance learning and two other computers online all day, all is well again.

If nothing had worked, I would have downloaded a Win 10 20H2 ISO and installed that; it has an option to keep everything, including all your programs.  That path has always worked when things went south as bad as they did.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Browsing Issues Since 20H2 Upgrade

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.