News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • BSODs

Posted on BaliBruce Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        BaliBruce
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi all, over the 2 month or so, I’ve been getting several BSODs per WEEK.  They range from Stop Codes:

• Memory Management
        • Critical Process Died – twice
        • Unexpected Store Exception – twice
        • Page Fault in Nonpaged Area. What failed: Ntsf.sys – 4-5 times
        • DPC Watchdog Violation – twice

Do I need a:

• New Computer, or
        • New motherboard. or
        • Reinstall Win10 or
        • just kill myself after I set my PC on fire?

H E L P
        Bruce

• #2299044 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Start by running chkdsk /f (it will tell you it needs a reboot, say “Yes” and reboot). Let us know what errors it finds.

In the meantime, we need more information:
        Can you give us any error codes associated with the Stop codes?
        What version of Win10 are you running? (1809, 1903, 1909, 2004, Home or Pro?) type winver in the taskbar search box, click enter, and tell us what Build

We need information about your computer:
        Laptop or desktop?
        Age of the PC?
        Specs (processor, RAM, HDD or SDD, etc)?
        What happened just prior to the start of the BSODs (updates? installed new s/w? install new h/w? etc)

• #2299047 Reply
        satrow
        AskWoody MVP

Hey Bruce, quite a variety there, some don’t really have any likely causes, others can be figured out by debugging. Those that are more common generally point to hardware/memory needing testing, so start with memory: Test RAM With Memtest86

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2299117 Reply
        bratkinson
        AskWoody Plus

Inconsistent problems like the OP is experiencing literally screams ‘failing RAM’.  Using Memtest86 indicated by satrow above is the easiest way to find out if RAM is the problem.

On the other side of the coin, it could be a failing HD or SSD (SSDs are not much more than RAM in a different package), in which case CHKDSK /f would find it.

Lastly, it could be an overheating problem.  Maybe one of the fans in the computer case failed?  Electronics don’t do well at all in excessively hot temperatures.  Hence, processors, RAM, or even HDs & SSDs might start acting up.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2299186 Reply
          RTEsysadmin
          AskWoody Plus

I absolutely agree with this. A horde of widely varying BSODs like that are most often (by a mile) due to hardware issues, and memory and drives are usually the culprits. Windows 10 has a built-in memory testing tool, and chkdsk /f for the drives, But your machine should have hardware diagnostics available if you press the Boot Device Selection button while starting up (which is usually F11 or F12, but you should consult the user manual for your machine).

Group K(ill me now)
      • #2299193 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

The CPUID Hardware Monitor will tell you what temperatures the various components are operating at, and Speccy will take it a stage further by flagging anything outside of a preferred range.  Also check your cooling policy:  Power options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > System cooling policy.  If that setting is “Passive” try changing it to “Active”, and v-v.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: BSODs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.