News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can a W7 PC be takin out of domain without knowing the adminp

Posted on theref1234 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Can a W7 PC be takin out of domain without knowing the adminp

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        theref1234
        AskWoody Lounger

Admin password.  I am trying to help a friend who bought his laptop several years ago (7?) and it was joined to the domain where he worked. His company was sold and the admins, the domain and the admin passwords are no longer available.  But everytime I try to change something, I get a prompt requiring the admin password.  I know that I could simply reinstall the OS (W7) but that would eliminate the applications that are currently installed.  SO, I would like to know if there a way to move the computer out of the domain without knowing any admin passwords.

• #2276209 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Domain membership won’t affect you working in a non domain environment.
        What you describe sounds like you are running as a non-admin user and don’t have the local admin password.

Try the NT password reset utility.

cheers, Paul

• #2276243 Reply
        zat_so
        AskWoody Plus

When I remove a PC from my company’s domain, as long as I put anything in the username/password boxes, it leaves the domain with no problem. This work for Windows 7 and Windows 10.

• This reply was modified 4 days, 20 hours ago by zat_so.
        • This reply was modified 4 days, 20 hours ago by zat_so.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can a W7 PC be takin out of domain without knowing the adminp

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.