News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can I NOW pause updates?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Can I NOW pause updates?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

Hey all, a friend of mine has Win 10 and is set for Windows to automatically update. Is it too late to go to the updates page and set it to “pause updates”? Will it automatically start the update process which will install the bad Patch Tuesday updates? Should I just tell her to leave well enough alone and hope that Windows doesn’t do the updates on its own? Thanks in advance.

• #2169436 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Is it too late to go to the updates page and set it to “pause updates”?

If the updates haven’t been downloaded already it isn’t too late to pause or on a Pro to set Windows update to ‘notify don’t download = 2 via GPEdit.

• #2169553 Reply
        CChamp
        AskWoody Plus

Is there some way I can tell without going to the app and risking it downloading at that time?

• #2169557 Reply
        The Surfing Pensioner
        AskWoody Plus

It won’t download just because you’ve accessed the system settings – just make sure you click on “System settings”, not “Check for updates”. And it won’t download updates when you click on “Pause updates” – that’s telling it not to. It may not be the easiest app to manage but you don’t need to be afraid of it.

• #2169844 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

If you have set pause to the max 35 days and expire date is 29 feb, you are s***ed. WHY can(won’t) msft write the pause module to be open- ended? We could than follow Woody’s and Susan’s advice regarding good and bad modules(catchall phrase) when released?

DriftyDonN

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can I NOW pause updates?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.