Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can I trust Windows defender?

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Can I trust Windows defender?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Zaphyrus 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Zaphyrus
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello, due to reasons  I am forced to stay with Windows defender so my question is if its a reliable antivirus  and if it isn’t dissapointing like Windows 10?

In short words: Should I keep or should i look for another antivirus?

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
      • This topic was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Zaphyrus.
    • #238306 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

According to AV comparatives, Defender is the slowest / has the most system impact, but finds / blocks all infections.
      https://www.av-comparatives.org/tests/real-world-protection-test-october-2018-factsheet/

cheers, Paul

• #238315 Reply

Mele20
      AskWoody Lounger

I see negligible impact on my Windows 10 Pro computer.  The same with my Windows 8.0 Pro computer.  Both are higher end with very fast processors, plenty of RAM, excellent video cards.  So, whether or not you notice a slow down will depend, to a large degree, on the quality and currency of your hardware.  Of course, the hardware is older on the Windows 8.0 Pro computer but I see no slow down now or when it was new (six years ago).

Actually, Avira was slowing my Windows 8.0 Pro computer down and so was any AV I tried.  I went without AV for awhile and then began using Windows Defender and i saw very little effect from it in terms of slow down.

i think you have to try each AV candidate for awhile and then choose the one that seems best for you.  My only gripe with Defender is that on Windows 8, I have a task set up so that it updates every 12 hours.  I cannot get that to work on Windows 10.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #238346 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

I get a lot of flak for it, but I still swear by Windows Defender. It’s a “good enough” antivirus product — and it doesn’t beg for payment, or interfere with Windows.

Your biggest problems these days aren’t with viruses. The biggest threat now is clicking on things you shouldn’t be clicking.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #238363 Reply

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Agree, it just does what it’s supposed to with no nags. From a personal point of view, Windows Defender on one of our W8.1 PC’s does what it’s supposed to without any conflict or issue (barr the VERY occasional .def update MS faux pas).
        I find it adequate in conjunction with in-browser security extensions and tweaks, it works seamlessly.

| W8.1 Pro x64 | Linux x64 Hybrids | W7 Pro x64 O/L | XP Pro O/L
      • #238514 Reply

Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

Ok if Woody says so, I will stay with Windows Defender then.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can I trust Windows defender?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.