News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can MSIxxxxx.LOG files be deleted

Posted on alphacharlie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Can MSIxxxxx.LOG files be deleted

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  joep517 1 month ago.

• Author

alphacharlie
      AskWoody Plus

My old Thinkpad is still running well on Win7 Pro SP1.
      I noticed a couple of gigabytes that are taken up by 900+ files called MSInnnnn.LOG

They are located in three different directories:

c:\Users\Myname\AppData\Local\Temp
      c:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp
      c:\Windows\Temp

The oldest one is from 2017, and there are a few from the last week or so.

I don’t know the actual purpose of these logs,
      and it would be nice to reclaim 2GB of space on my 99GB C; Drive.

Thanks for any guidance.

• #1952795 Reply

anonymous
    • #1952887 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

Short answer – YES.

Slightly longer answer – use the disk cleanup tool to remove temporary files and clean up Windows update. Access the tool from the Control Panel – type “disk” in the search box. Click on “free up disk space…” or using File Explorer right-click on the drive in the navigation pane and click “disk cleanup”.

Run the tool and then click on “clean up system files”. Once that scan is complete select the file types you want to remove.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can MSIxxxxx.LOG files be deleted

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.