News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can not enter Wifi Password

Posted on Steve S Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  b 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Steve S
      AskWoody Lounger

First the Keyboard does work. Second the Wifi does connect. Third can enter pw if I type  it into Notepad and then cut and paste it. Version 1803 build 17134.648. Used for business, so it needs to work. This bug could be the same or related to  this one

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/79272-cannot-type-wifi-password.html

I am trying to get this fixed. Also a problem with the touchpad (works great with a mouse )

• #1960166 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Presumably your keyboard layout is not English (US)?

Can you type into the wi-fi password field and character blobs appear, but the password is not accepted?

Have you tried clicking and holding on the eye icon at the end of the password field to view the characters which have actually been entered? (If only one or two characters are being entered incorrectly it may be possible to learn which they are and make suitable adjustments to your key presses.)

You could try the on-screen keyboard (Win+Ctrl+O) in case that is more successful.

Although it’s probably a nasty bug which has been around for at least three years, were you aware that if you type anything into any program after signing into Windows but before entering the wi-fi password, then it may work OK?

In the future, type in an app before typing the wi-fi password. This will prevent the issue from coming up.

Wi-Fi password not accepted in Windows 10 using non-QWERTY keyboard layout

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1960440 Reply

Steve S
      AskWoody Lounger

Keyboard should be English QWERTY. How to Confirm?

When I try to type in the password, it is completely blank. Nothing showing up.

No eye to click.

On Screen keyboard act the same as the hardware one. (no characters shown)

Opened an Command prompt, typed test (which I can see there), then tried typing in PW area. no text shown whether symbols, letters, or numbers.

EDIT: Problem fixed. The Touch Screen service was off. And this computer is NOT a touch screen. I noticed when I tried to use the sticky pad, no text there. But Please explain Microsoft why a service that seems to have no purpose on a computer that with NO TOUCH SCREEN is needing a touch screen service? Name of the service is : Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Steve S.
    • #1960525 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

Interesting. Congrats on tracking down such an obscure fix.

(Sorry my suggestions were way off; just my best guesses.)

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1960559 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

It appears the Microsoft-approved method of disabling a touch screen (if you have one) is via Device Manager:

Enable and disable your touchscreen in Windows 10

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can not enter Wifi Password

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.