News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cancel autompayments to Windows Secrets

Home Forums AskWoody blog Cancel autompayments to Windows Secrets

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

GoneToPlaid 2 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I just got another message from a former Windows Secrets Newsletter subscriber who’s been bamboozled. As mentioned in this week’s AskWoody Plus Newsle
      [See the full post at: Cancel autompayments to Windows Secrets]

• #478630 Reply

Bluetrix
      AskWoody MVP

From PayPal

Once a buyer begins the dispute resolution process, we put a hold on that transaction’s funds until things are resolved. If the Buyer and Seller can’t reach an agreement, the dispute can be escalated to a Claim. Then we’ll investigate and make a ruling.

I have had success using PayPal for resolving disputes that arise with my PP account. It doesn’t happen overnight but it happens.
      As Susan suggests, stop reoccurring payments. If a payment has been paid to (say Penton) and no service has been provided, you will get the money back. Chase that rabbit down the dark empty hole, file a dispute.
      CC’s and banks also investigate dead payments. Been there.
      ymmv

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #509184 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Whenever you purchase something using Paypal, it is a good idea to log into Paypal and check to see if you now have an automatic payment authorization set up in Paypal. Most of the time this doesn’t happen, but sometimes it does – Google play store purchases come to mind, as well as anti-virus renewals.

If you don’t want the automatic payment authorization, remove it. If you don’t remove it, then Google or whoever will be able to charge against your Paypal account.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #509607 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the heads up. I had already canceled autopay after I bought my Plus membership. I logged into Paypal this morning and discovered that other vendors were set as autopay. It appears that if a vendor has options for either a single payment or for recurring payments, their account with Paypal is set to autopay no matter what. So I merrily canceled autopay for those other vendors.

Another tip: Be sure to remove expired debit cards from Paypal and from all other payment sites which you use. Why? There are two reasons.

1. Many banks reissue the same expired debit card numbers to new customers since this is cheaper than having to generate completely new and unused debit card numbers. Not only that, most banks do not randomize the reuse of the debit card numbers. My bank does not.

2. Many banks tell you to remove your expired cards from online merchant accounts because, even though your card is expired, the banks will still honor payments charged by the merchants to your expired cards! My bank does this.

• #510756 Reply

e_belmont
      AskWoody Plus

I’ve copied GoneToPlaid’s initial paragraph on this topic below.

“Thanks for the heads up. I had already canceled autopay after I bought my Plus membership. I logged into Paypal this morning and discovered that other vendors were set as autopay. It appears that if a vendor has options for either a single payment or for recurring payments, their account with Paypal is set to autopay no matter what. So I merrily canceled autopay for those other vendors.

In my experience, the ONLY way to cancel these autopay authorizations is to contact PayPal directly and request that they be canceled by a service representative.  I don’t have the slightest idea of how this one happened, but Goolge was authorized to use the autopay feature.  To my knowledge, I have NEVER EVER purchased anything from Google.

Also the PayPal service advisor with whom I spoke, said that not all vendors request autopay authorizations, but some (don’t know if it’s hundreds, thousands, millions) do request THAT THE FEATURE BE ACTIVATED.  If they do, PayPal complies and activates this feature on the user’s PayPal Account.  There may or may not be a place on the purchase page to prevent this.  Some (I suspect most) vendors don’t even advise the purchaser that autopay has been authorized.

Finally, if an autopay authorization is used and a vendor bills a purchaser (user) for an unwanted product or service, PayPal will work the the injured user to refund the charges..  I’ve got a feeling that this may not always be a straight forward process.  Fortunately in my  case, using this was not necessary.

THERE  JUST AIN’T NO GOOD IN THIS ONE!!

• #512468 Reply

Bluetrix
        AskWoody MVP

PayPal will work [with] the the injured user to refund the charges

PP isn’t upfront on a few things. One item they should have on your start page is a “Check Payment Schedule” button that reveals what payments are scheduled. (duh) “Thanks for your suggestion …blah blah” was the canned response I got, eh .. understandable.

I’ve had three disputes that escalated into Claims, all were decided in my favor. Takes time, but filing a dispute is very easy. My earlier post was in reference to a payment for services never rendered. This could mean a recurring payment that you didn’t know was active. First thing they ask is that you contact the vendor and ask for a refund, save that email, if no satisfaction results, file a Claim on PP. They contact the vendor, if no response comes from vendor, PP will credit your account the amount lost. Two out of my three disputes were settled that way, the other one flat out lied, it was so obvious.

Paying for something for a year and only using six months, then wanting a refund for the unused portion ain’t gonna fly as a dispute. Most subscriptions have a “No Refund Policy”, but if you catch it early and it is a recurring payment (not set by you) you have a good chance of reclaiming funds. At least try, all they can do is say no.

I referred to chasing a rabbit down a hole to get back a payment (recurring or not) that has no value, such as payment to Penton for a WS renewal today. I can’t fight Penton, but PP can. Getting an invalid payment reversed is something to smile about.

PP isn’t perfect, but it’s better than sitting on your fingers in getting a refund.

Windows10 Home 1809 | Mint19 on VM

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #514973 Reply

GoneToPlaid
        AskWoody Plus

You should be able to cancel any autopay vendors under your Paypal account settings. As far as your Google autopay, did you ever try YouTube Red or watch a video which you had to pay for?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cancel autompayments to Windows Secrets

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.