Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cannot download and install current version of Win 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1607 – Anniversary Update Cannot download and install current version of Win 10

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

anonymous

Help!! I have tried to do the right thing and Microsoft won’t let me!!
      I am running Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update 1607, Build 14393.2007. Recently, a screen began popping up that said “Your device needs the latest security updates. Microsoft can’t install important security updates on your PC until you install the most current version of Windows 10.”  I have been updating every month after Woody’s DefCon graphic says it’s okay. I was waiting for the go sign for the February updates when I thought I would take care of this “little” problem.
      I selected the “update now” button (after I turned off the metered setting, Thanks Woody!) and for 28 hours the 5GB file downloaded. The Windows 10 assistant screen showed one progress line, while the windows update screen in “Settings” showed another progress line (different percentages were shown to have downloaded). I just let it grind away.
      Finally, something installed (I saw three files in the update history), I restarted and low and behold I have the exact same version 1607 as I started out with and the warning screens started badgering me again with the same update message!!!
      Now I find out the support, such as it is, will end April 10. I am a reasonably intelligent person but this constant updating has been very frustrating and beyond annoying. I am extremely tired of hearing my wife swearing at the PC every weekend because even when the metered setting is on it seems Microsoft still is able to try to do updates and slow the machine down to crawl. I don’t know what to do and of course I can’t even find a phone number on MS support site. I am writing this on my Mac Book Pro and which has support links (with phone numbers)
      Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit to remove HTML
      Please convert ot plain text (.txt) before cut/paste operation

• #167205 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

Before going any further, I would recommend you at least backup your data on that machine – everything under the User ID.
      It would also be a good thing to mane an image of the drive.Macrium Reflect and EaseUS Todo are good , free imaging programs.

• #188581 Reply

Ken.C.J.Mc
      AskWoody Lounger

• Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4091461) – Error 0x800f0922 ”
      I hope I am in the right place if not I’m sorry
      Hi I’m new here and I’m having big problems with KB4091461 it is trying to update for about 4 weeks now. “Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4091461)” and fails on top of that Win 10 is trying to update to 1709 with a app that downloaded it self and will not update either grr get too 100 restart the computer and fails by restart , I have 3 more of the same computers in my home network and they did not have any problems at all, they are all the  same make and model. can some one help me please the problem computer is my main and I would hate to loss it.
      Thank you all so very much
      KCJMC

KCJMC

• #188739 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Ken, please don’t post the same thing twice.
      See your other post here: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/windows-10-version-1709-fall-creators-update/#post-188737

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cannot download and install current version of Win 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.