News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cannot Install Rollups and Blank Screen for Turning On or Off Windows Features

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Cannot Install Rollups and Blank Screen for Turning On or Off Windows Features

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

halsch
      AskWoody Plus

Starting with the Nov 2018 rollup for Windows 7 (x86), I have able to download but not install the updates. I am able to install the monthly security only updates, .net rollups, and other updates. I tried downloading and installing from the Microsoft catalog, WSUS, and from AskWoody page. I also get a blank screen when I click on “Turn Window Features On or Off”.

I ran SFC, troubleshooter(latest version), system diagnostics, and the Update Readiness Tool(the tool ran for three hours). The first three found no problems. The update tool found the CBS catalog missing for package 545 for KB4025341(not fixed), 1,011 missing MUM(all not fixed), and 1,000 unavailable repair files. Note – Microsoft indicates that KB4025341 has be superseded and, consequently, not available for download

I have the original Windows 7 Pro 32-bit reinstallation DVD.  If  the only fix is to repair the operating system using the DVD, will I need to reinstall all my other software, drivers, and settings.?

• #1875229 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Have you run chkdsk?
      Have you tried clearing the datastore (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution)?

• #1875465 Reply

anonymous

Halsch see if the below has any help for you before you reinstall.

Turn Windows Features On or Off shows a blank window
      https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/turn-windows-features-on-or-off-shows-a-blank-window.3334784/

1. The dialog box “Windows features” is blank
      2. “Sfc / scannow” does not work
      3. In the system event appears repeatedly: “The service modules, Windows Installer closed with the following error: Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service.” with Event ID: 7023

After seeing my system event log I found that the record size limit was exceeded and this was preventing that could enable and disable Windows features, then what we did was increase the registry size limit as explained in: Understanding and configuring Registry Size Limit (RSL) (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124594/en-us) … I put in the maximum (0xffffffff) and presto, it worked again,

Note that microsoft web site is gone so see the below,

Windows 7: Set the Registry Size Limit to “unlimited”
      https://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/40511-set-registry-size-limit-unlimited.html

poster premiumthought, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit said,

“Yes it helps
      I can confirm that the changing the registry size in Windows 7 to unlimited DOES WORK.

I had an issue where several computers, with a clean install of Windows 7, had repeated windows update failures as well as Visual C++ Redistributable install failures (both 2005 and 2008).

This one change in the registry, of increasing the size of the registry, took care of both issues.

Thanks for the solution.”

Premiumthought also said after others mentioned it could not happen,

“I tried various tricks that have worked before in situations like this (including rebooting several times) but nothing worked. I had given up when I accidentally stumbled upon this one discussion on ESRI support forums where someone had mentioned changing the value of RegistrySizeLimit to ffffffff and rebooting.

I did exactly that and viola. All computers (six new Windows 7 installations) started working again. Windows updates were failing as well before and this fixed that problem too. Visual C++ 2005 redistributable installed just fine and so did 2008 redistributable.

Nothing else was changed in those computers. So draw your own conclusions. I’m just happy it worked and I can finally get paid ”

Good luck Halsch.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cannot Install Rollups and Blank Screen for Turning On or Off Windows Features

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.