News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cannot run chkdsk

Posted on WSlavoro Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Cannot run chkdsk

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        WSlavoro
        AskWoody Plus

I tried to run chkdsk /r on my Windows 10 laptop, but it would not run. Message:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
        Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
        process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
        checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I have encrypted my HDD with Veracrypt, which I assume is the reason the command won’t run. Is there a way to get it to run? Should I accept the offer to run chkdsk next time the computer restarts or will Veracrypt continue to be a problem?

• #2268320 Reply
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

That’s normal while windows is in use. Type y and restart. It will run before windows loads.

• #2268323 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

I tried to run chkdsk /r on my Windows 10 laptop, but it would not run. Message:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
        Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
        process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
        checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

I have encrypted my HDD with Veracrypt, which I assume is the reason the command won’t run. Is there a way to get it to run? Should I accept the offer to run chkdsk next time the computer restarts or will Veracrypt continue to be a problem?

Select: Yes

You are using the same drive that you are attempting to check which is why you are receiving the usage message. When the system is rebooted, chkdsk will run.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 Storage
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.900 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox79.0b5 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
      • #2268327 Reply
        WSlavoro
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the speedy assistance!

• #2268330 Reply
        CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

Can someone confirm that you must make Another entry – AFTER CHKDSK – Runs OR chkdsk will repeat at each Re-Start?

My notes say run —  chkntfs /d — before the next Re-start …. True or Not?

W10-64 1909 Pro / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy i5-8400/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / InSpectre #8 = GREEN

• #2268331 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I’ve never had chkdsk run but one time (after the next reboot).

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2268587 Reply
        Bundaburra
        AskWoody Plus

Probably not Veracrypt.  As noted, chkdsk will not run if the disk is in use, and a common reason for that (but not the only one) is that the disk contains an active page file.  When you reply Yes (or y) to the prompt, the  system sets a flag to run chkdsk at the next start.  When it does start to run, the same flag is reset so it will not run again subsequently.  (That’s how it is supposed to work, anyway.)

Chkdsk /R will probably run for a long time, as it will examine the entire disk including parts not in use.  The /F switch is a better option, unless you really want to examine the entire disk.  At a command prompt you can enter chkdsk /? to see all the options.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2004

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cannot run chkdsk

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.