News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • cannot save many docs or install some programs

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 cannot save many docs or install some programs

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Author
        Walleye59

Thanks for reading this.
        Win 10, ver 1909
        I cannot save some documents/etc or finish installing programs that need access to doc folders.
        Problem stared months ago.
        I can open, create, edit, print but cannot save certain files.—old win 95 MS works data base I still use ,for example  , I can use but cannot save
        Everything opens fast.

legacy ancestor  program will not install , it needs access to doc folders I guess
        new turbo tax installs but will not save, assume it needs access to doc folder also
        many doc folders, properties say read only but removing the check goes right back to read only when you close.

Many of the files are old doc. , tried to save as docx. some worked, some not.  Read where doc. doesn’t work anymore. Using an old MS office 2007 which works did I do something to cause this.  I’m a super senior so I may have clicked the wrong item.

usually get messages similar to—disk is full.  read only , or you don’t have permission for this action . Everything opens fast, just cannot save many things.
        For some reason new word docs are saving again .

Thanks

• #2153336 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That may be a permission problem or disk corruption.

1. Make a backup to an external disk. If you need help with this, ask.
        2. Check the disk. Open Explorer, right click on C: and select Properties > Tools > Check
        3. Check the file / folder permissions. Open Explorer, right click on “Documents” and select Properties > Security. Post a screenshot of the properties.

To post a screenshot, open Windows Snipping Tool.
        Open the thing you want to snip.
        For the security in 3 above, go to the snipping tool and select New > Window Snip.
        Save as PNG.
        Go to this site, type your response and click “Select File” and navigate to the capture PNG.

cheers, Paul

• #2171327 Reply
        anonymous

Thanks, see if I can do this right.

disk check says no errors

cannot get the snip to paste but it says–

users(al-desktop\users

check mark only after

read and execute ,list folder  contents, read..  no checks on full control, write

other system ,adm have all,5,  checks

don’t see a select file area

• #2171393 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

If there is no check after write then it’s permissions.

Have another go at posting the screenshot so we can be sure.

cheers, Paul

• #2172101 Reply
        anonymous

Sorry, cannot get that snip to copy/paste.  I’m looking at it but all I can do is email it.
        Let’s assume it’s permissions, now what

• #2172159 Reply
          Kirsty
          Da Boss

Anons cannot add attachments. Your aleternatives, depending on the content, is to paste it into pastebin.com, or use a cloud repository (iCloud, Dropbox, Drive etc. etc), and paste the link here.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2176413 Reply
        anonymous

Not sure if this will work but the picture  is in a shared folder

Shared (file://AL-DESKTOP/Users/AL/Pictures/iCloud%20Photos/Shared)

• #2176418 Reply
          jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Do you have an account here? If so, login, then reply to this thread. At the bottom of your reply, attach your screenshot file (select file, upload, etc.). Once the file is attached, use the Insert into content link.

• #2208397 Reply
            Walleye59
            AskWoody Plus

Capture-2

sorry for slow response, had a hard time getting this done

Attachments:
            • #2208576 Reply
              Paul T
              AskWoody MVP

Those permissions are correct for the root of C:.
              We need the same for the “doc” folder.

cheers, Paul

• #2176646 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Upload the image to imgur.com, then link to it.

cheers, Paul

• #2210389 Reply
            Walleye59

docproperties

Edited to block out email address

Attachments:
      • #2210417 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Now we need the Security tab with the user selected (SYSTEM is Windows itself).

Note: when you take the screenshot use the Snipping Tool to overwrite the last part of the email address shown.

cheers, Paul

• #2210805 Reply
        Walleye59
        AskWoody Plus

6Capture

Attachments:
      • #2211014 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You have full permission, so that isn’t the issue.

Does it happen consistently on certain files or is it any files?
        If it happens once will it happen if you try to save again immediately?
        Can you “save as” to the same folder?

cheers, Paul

• #2211172 Reply
        Walleye59
        AskWoody Plus

cannot save or save as certain files, tried several times always
        save as doesn’t work for the problem files to the same folder
        I CAN save to the desktop, problem is I don’t know how, can’t get the file always to connect to the program
        I can write a new MS word letter, Office 2007, and save it correctly. I can open old letters, edit and save to documents(used to have severe problems with certain letters) Some letters are very old,word97-2003 when it was free on a new computer. Tried to save all as docx
        Just tried to open/save an old MS works file, could only save to the desktop, not to the correct folder
        Cannot install ancestor /legacy program, guy says it needs access to documents folder
        TurboTax installed correctly but I could not save except to the desktop,( TT people told me to do that, then I just Moved,copied/pasted into folder where I wanted the final pdf file
        I tried copying paste problem letters , intent to create new letter, but I lost the formatting so that didn’t work
        Basically i’m working around the problem I don’t want to save only to the desktop

Question- properties, why are my documents folder read only

• #2211347 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Question- properties, why are my documents folder read only

It’s not really, that’s just how Explorer shows it.

As you can save some things but not others it may be permissions on old files.
        Can you manually create a file in your Documents folder? Open Explorer, Right click a blank space in Documents and select New > Text Document.

It could also be Windows Controlled Folder Access.

cheers, Paul

• #2212132 Reply
        Walleye59
        AskWoody Plus

new text doc saves immediately on the desktop. I can now create, save most word docs. For a while I had just some which restricted me. Your comment on permissions on old files sounds right. Those were the ones giving me trouble. I have a bunch of old, 15-20 year old word docs lists I update as I need them

I must have done something– after just reading the controlled access stuff. This started a while back after the win 10 updates came out over a year ago. Probably went to win 10 around year and half ago

Thanks

• #2212258 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You could select all the files and reset the permissions to give you full access.
        Use the settings from your post #2210805 above.

cheers, Paul

• #2214140 Reply
          Walleye59
          AskWoody Plus

Exactly how do I do that? I checked into the windows controlled access folders and all document folders , music etc are protected by default.

I tried resetting permissions but nothing changed.

Thanks for your time. I’m about to right this off and forget about it

Viewing 12 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: cannot save many docs or install some programs

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.