• Cannot update using outside tools.

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Windows 10 version 22H2 » Cannot update using outside tools.

Author
    Topic

Yo

I have tried these:
    1. Update Manger for Windows v1.1b  by D. Xanatos
    2. WAU Manager v3.5.1.0
    3. Windows Update Mini Tool
    4. WUShowHide
    They will not find and show updates when Susan gives the OK. I have the update manager in Windows paused until a few days after the month. So it does not download anything until I release the pause.

So, when none of the above will find updates and they all tell me I am up to date every time I querry them. I have to go and release the beast and the Microsoft downloads all the updates available, even the drivers available which I do not ask for or want, and installs them as I sit and watch.

Fortunately as to now, no updates, (except on a graphics driver for an Nvidia card, which caused a continuous Watch Dog blue screen alert while my system was checked. Reinstalled the correct driver from the Nvidia site.) have caused a problem except installing things I do not want but which do not cause a computer problem.

I hope that explains the problem. I have used the older WUMgr which required a couple restarts, with great success, but I no longer have that one and do not know if it is available to try and use again.

If anyone one has any idea or has had a problem like this and or a fix, I would love to know.

Thanks to all in advance whether you can help or not.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I have tried these:
      1. Update Manger for Windows v1.1b by D. Xanatos
      2. WAU Manager v3.5.1.0
      3. Windows Update Mini Tool
      4. WUShowHide

I have the update manager in Windows paused until a few days after the month.

You have given the reason why all the things you tried don’t find updates.

All the tools you use AND Windows Update use the Windows Update Service to scan for updates. If you Pause Windows Update, you disable the Windows update Service. So nothing can work.

You should not use Pause if you use ONE of those tools. Do not use Pause b/c when you resume updates it causes an automatic download/install. “Check for Updates” also has the same affect.
      wushowhide is a stand alone tool which does not install. My suggestion is you choose ONE of the other tools (#2-#4) and uninstall the other two. Then use that to control updates. I would recommend WUMgr.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thanks for getting me this information so quickly.  Appreciated. I have one more question.

With WU Manager: at the top of the dialog box it says: “If you plan to use WU Manager, you should tick the option below. Otherwise it will not be of much use” The option being: “Disable the build in windows automatic updates, and use only WUManager” So how does that work as per what you said above? Sorry to be dense but there is a conflict between your facts and the WUM requirements. Not a complaint on your information which I sort of understand. Just need to know. If I disable the auto update in WUM, and not in update on my computer, does that mean then that updates will not be loaded on to the computer without my permission? I probably miss read the instructions and thought I had to disable the update manager that came with windows and that is maybe not right. ???

Let me know if this reply is too confusing and you need me to be more clear.

Again I truly appreciate what you all do in these forums.

The other thing is that if I pause updates till end of month on Windows, then what? Does not Windows download and install updates as they are available?

Would I need to check for updates every day to get them before the Win Update on my computer? If that is necessary do you have an idea of at what time, EST, these updates are posted? So that I can get a jump in and, do or do not install a particular update?

Install WUMgr. See KB600002 Guide to using WUMgr for Windows 10 updates for instructions.

There are an older topics that may help with the setup too.
      https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/windows-update-manager-wumgr/

Reading through this I think there may be some confusion over which update blocker is being referred to, and that in turn may be leading to some other confusion.

@PKCano
      is using WUMgr to refer to Robert Jacobs choice number 1 (Update Manager for Windows v1.1b by D. Xanatos).

Robert Jacobs is using WU Manager (and perhaps WUM) to refer to his choice number 2 (WAU Manager v3.5.1.0). The quoted sentences in the above post by rjacobscan are directly from the documentation for WAU Manager, https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/

@PKCano
      is recommending that WUMgr – i.e., choice number 1 – be installed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

@PKCano is recommending that WUMgr – i.e., choice number 1 – be installed.

WUmgr is a portable app. No installation needed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Cannot update using outside tools.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: