News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can't connect to our site on laptop Windows 7 SP1

Posted on IreneLinda Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Can't connect to our site on laptop Windows 7 SP1

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  IreneLinda 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi Loungers,

UPDATE: Agh! It’s happening on both computers! The only site that opens is the current one in Firefox and Chrome. The development site opens in none of the 3.

Hi Loungers,

A weird thing is happening this morning: can’t connect to our current or in development site on my laptop. On the PC, no problem. All other sites load perfectly in the laptop.

Here’s what’s happening. Sorry for the length, but I want to give you all the information:

• on Firefox (v. 67.0.4), our default browser, we get a “unable to connect; cannot establish a connection to the server at mygoforthegreen.com (current) or new.mygoforthegreen.com (in development).” Tried refreshing Firefox with no difference.
      • in Chrome (v. 75.0.3770.100), mygoforthegreen.com, we get a screen that has nothing to do with our site, but seems to relate to our Internet provider, Comcast. It has a blank screen with things like Newest DVD Releases, Best Movies to Rent and so on. There’s a search icon beside the name of our site at the top. Clicking on it opens a dialogue box saying “activate the new gateway today”. They have sent a new modem, but we plan to purchase our own and return theirs. Why would this message appear on laptop, but not on main desktop PC?
      • in Chrome, new.mygoforthegreen.com, we get the same “Unable to connect” message as in Firefox
      • IE (v. 11.0.9600.19377): both sites – message is “this page can’t be displayed”; Troubleshooter gives this message: “The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection detected”.

I’m really stumped: the connection must be fine since every other site loads with no problem.

Does any of this suggest a path forward? Is this a server issue? Laptop issue?

If you can point me to where I should go to fix this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Linda

admin in Firefox and Chrome. A weird thing is happening this morning: can’t connect to our current or in development site on my laptop. On the PC, no problem. All other sites load perfectly in the laptop.

Here’s what’s happening. Sorry for the length, but I want to give you all the information:

• on Firefox (v. 67.0.4), our default browser, we get a “unable to connect; cannot establish a connection to the server at mygoforthegreen.com (current) or new.mygoforthegreen.com (in development).” Tried refreshing Firefox with no difference.
      • in Chrome (v. 75.0.3770.100), mygoforthegreen.com, we get a screen that has nothing to do with our site, but seems to relate to our Internet provider, Comcast. It has a blank screen with things like Newest DVD Releases, Best Movies to Rent and so on. There’s a search icon beside the name of our site at the top. Clicking on it opens a dialogue box saying “activate the new gateway today”. They have sent a new modem, but we plan to purchase our own and return theirs. Why would this message appear on laptop, but not on main desktop PC?
      • in Chrome, new.mygoforthegreen.com, we get the same “Unable to connect” message as in Firefox
      • IE (v. 11.0.9600.19377): both sites – message is “this page can’t be displayed”; Troubleshooter gives this message: “The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection detected”.

I’m really stumped: the connection must be fine since every other site loads with no problem.

Does any of this suggest a path forward? Is this a server issue? Laptop issue?

If you can point me to where I should go to fix this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Linda

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  PKCano.
      • This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  IreneLinda.
    • #1855392 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

It looks like domain has expired – see yellow box at bottom of attached screenshot.

irene

Attachments:
    • #1855503 Reply

IreneLinda
      AskWoody Lounger

You’re right. Hadn’t noticed that. Just learned by calling our new host that the transfer from old host, PowWeb, to them, InMotion, was messed up. So I’m still registered with PowWeb although we transferred over a year ago. I apparently have to contact PowWeb, notoriously difficult to do, and try to get our domain re-activated.

Thank you so much for the redirection. Keep your fingers crossed and will post back.

UPDATE

Good news … it’s done! And before the domain went up for sale. 🙂 The earlier transfer mix-up I’ll deal with tomorrow. For now, I’m just grateful once again to Woody’s Lounge for getting me on the right track!

Linda

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  IreneLinda.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can't connect to our site on laptop Windows 7 SP1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.