News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Can’t log in with fingerprints 99% of the time

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » PC hardware » Can’t log in with fingerprints 99% of the time

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago.
    Author
    Topic

I have a ThnkPad Ultrabook running Windows 10 Pro (up to date) on a local account. I am ready to give up on the fingerprint do-hickey completely, if I knew how to do that. I entered my fingerprints (both index fingers) with no difficulty. But when I try to sign in, I go thru the 3 tries and then have to sign in with my 4-digit code. Every once in a great while (maybe once a month), I can log on with my fingerprint. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I have erased and reentered the fingerprints at least 3 times and it makes no difference. I’ve tried positioning the fingers slightly differentrly on the sensor and that doesn’t help. I’ve tried rolling my finger at different angles and in different directions nd that doesn’t help. Nor does going faster or slower. The machine is out of warranty so I can’t take it in for free repairs. I’m  small woman with slender fingers so it’s not like the sensor isn’t “seeing” enough of my fingerprint. I don’t use hand creme or anything that would interfere and it makes no difference if my hands are freshly washed or “dirty” from several hours of using the computer.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies

Not sure if this will work for the ThinkPad, but it does work for iPhone fingerprint logons.

Add additional fingerprints to log on, but the finger used in each is the same finger.  The system will now have 3 or more prints of the same finger and each will be a slight variation.  These readers are so sensitive that slight angle variations of the same finger appear as different fingerprints.  Having several fingerprints of the same finger increases that one of the fingerprints on file will match your finger at its present angle.  Many users have reported that this helped increased the identification of their finger and decreased the number of failed logins.

HTH, Dana:>>

1 user thanked author for this post.

I will try this today. It never occurred to me, but your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Neither my wife nor I have fingerprints anymore — from a lifetime of hand washing. Our state police fingerprints (for our child welfare jobs) came back unreadable for the last several years and I can’t use my fingerprints for Windows Hello or iPhones.

I now use a newer iPhone for Face ID and I have a terrific little Logitech camera that logs me in to my desktop PC. I don’t know if your Ultrabook is set up for face ID, which requires a camera specialized for that capability.

For what it’s worth. Good luck.

My ThinkPad either doesn’t have that capability. But Drcard:))’s suggestion worked, so I’m happy.

That worked perfectly. I’ve signed in 5 times in a row successfully. Thank you!

I have the problem that for me fingerprint recognition using scanning devices does not work well, or at all, probably because of some very small horizontal wrinkles (lines) across the whorls of my fingertips. They are part of me and I cannot do anything practical about them.

So I have always logged in to computers with a password. With anything else that requires scanning, sometimes this has resulted in a serious hassle.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Big Sur 11.6 & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with 16GB 1600 GHz DDR3 RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
      Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
      Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. also Intego AV and Malwarebytes for the Mac.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Can’t log in with fingerprints 99% of the time

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.