News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can’t login to Windows Store

Posted on anotherwindowsuser Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Can’t login to Windows Store

Topic Resolution: Resolved

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Author
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 because well I kinda broke it but after reinstalling it, I now can’t login to Windows Store app nor can I add my Microsoft account in the Emails and accounts section of settings. Depending on which app I try to log in from I get error code 0x80070520 or none at all. Resetting the windows store app didn’t work.

• #2084006 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Have you tried running the Troubleshooter:
        Settings\Update & Security\Troubleshoot\Windows Store Apps

If that doesn’t work, open an elevated Command prompt and run these two commands:
        DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
        sfc /scannow

• #2084064 Reply
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

Neither the troubleshooter, nor those two commands have fixed the issue.

• #2084074 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Grasping at straws. Under Settings\Privacy do you have access to Accounts or an App blocked?

• #2084100 Reply
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

Grasping at straws. Under Settings\Privacy do you have access to Accounts or an App blocked?

I enabled access and tried it again, and it still doesn’t work

• #2084540 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Make a full backup – including boot USB for the backup software.
        Re-install from scratch.
        Add MS account.
        Does it work?

cheers, Paul

• #2084683 Reply
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

Make a full backup – including boot USB for the backup software.
        Re-install from scratch.
        Add MS account.
        Does it work?

cheers, Paul

Sadly I don’t have any way to do any backups and I really don’t want to reinstall Windows 10 again after just reinstalling it last week.

• #2085142 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You don’t backup or you don’t have an external USB disk? The former is not a good idea, the latter is lack of effort.  🙂

cheers, Paul

• #2085238 Reply
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

You don’t backup or you don’t have an external USB disk? The former is not a good idea, the latter is lack of effort.  🙂

cheers, Paul

I don’t have storage hardware for backups, nor do I have the money for it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2085275 Reply
        jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

Right-click the Start button, choose Run, then enter lusrmgr.msc (press Enter)

Can you add a new local user? If so, login using that new account and see if you can complete the functions you wish to complete.

If that works, use your new account as the primary account.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2085367 Reply
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

Right-click the Start button, choose Run, then enter lusrmgr.msc (press Enter)

Can you add a new local user? If so, login using that new account and see if you can complete the functions you wish to complete.

If that works, use your new account as the primary account.

Thank you, that did work! How do I move everything from my old local account to the new local account without the filesystem permissions getting screwed up?

• #2085379 Reply
          jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

How much data are we talking about?

If you have enough space on your drive to duplicate your data, I’d do something like this:

• Create a non-user-specific folder to temporarily hold your data – maybe C:\DATA
          • Change the permissions on this temporary folder to allow Everyone full access
          • Login as your original user name, then move all of your data to the temporary folder you created above
          • Login as your new user name and COPY (using File Explorer) all of the data from your temporary folder to the location(s) under your new user’s profile where you’d normally store it (My Documents, etc.).
          • Verify that you can access everything you need under your new user name before deleting it from the temporary folder

I’d try the above procedure with a single folder’s worth of data – or even just a few files – to verify that it’ll work for you, and that you can do it without data loss.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2085472 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I don’t have storage hardware for backups

Do you backup to one of the free cloud sites, MS / Google etc? At a minimum you should backup your data files.

cheers, Paul

• #2086074 Reply
        anotherwindowsuser
        AskWoody Lounger

I don’t have storage hardware for backups

Do you backup to one of the free cloud sites, MS / Google etc? At a minimum you should backup your data files.

cheers, Paul

No, because I don’t trust cloud providers with my data, and I happen to have a lot of it.

• #2086133 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

You have a lot of data but don’t back it up because you don’t trust 3rd parties?! IMO you are asking for trouble.

I’d be saving my pennies, looking for a second hand USB disk at a minimum.

cheers, Paul

• #2086164 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

No, because I don’t trust cloud providers with my data, and I happen to have a lot of it.

But you trust Microsoft ?

Viewing 13 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can’t login to Windows Store

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.