News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can't pause Windows Updates

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Can't pause Windows Updates

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

PKCano 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

BobStr
      AskWoody Plus

Earlier today I updated from Windows 10 Version 1803 to 1809. After the installation was completed, I wanted to pause updates again, but apparently screwed up. In Updates, Advanced Options, I inadvertently clicked twice. The first time turned “Pause updates” back on, and the second time turned it off again. As a result, I can’t turn it on again, and there’s a message that I have to have the next updates installed before I can pause it again (see attachment).

Is there anyway to overcome this, so I can pause updates now, before any new ones are installed? If not, is there a way to protect against the possibility that the next batch of updates will mess things up?

Thanks.

Updates

Attachments:
    • #1618741 Trash | Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

If you have Win10 Home you are pretty much out of luck controlling Windows Update from within Windows. You can try some third-party update blockers. There are several listed, and searching this site for them by name will give you more information. Many of our Win10 Home users employ them.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1620322 Trash | Reply

BobStr
        AskWoody Plus

I have Windows 10 Pro. I’ve been able to stop (i.e., pause & delay) updates before, but the issue has become that once I’ve “un-paused” updates, Windows won’t let me pause them again until after the next round of updates has been installed.

Is there a way in Pro to get around this?

In the meanwhile I’ll check out the link you provided.

Thanks for the help.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can't pause Windows Updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.