• Can’t reach website using chrome and edge

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Author
    Topic

For the past few weeks when I open a browser to go to the internet I get a message “This site can’t be reached”. It also says to run diagnostics. I click the reload button below the message and the site eventually loads.

I uninstalled chrome, deleted all cookies, temp files, flushed the DNS through the cmd prompt. Nothing seems to work. Again this happens on all computers in the house using edge or chrome.

Any ideas on what to do to clear this up? I even had spectrum comes out and check their equipment.

I have attached a screen shot of the error message.

Thanks,

Mike

Viewing 3 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What happens if you start Firefox (regular version or ESR version)? Does Fx have the problem also?

Have you tried changing your DNS servers? Try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. (Google’s DNS servers). If those are the ones you currently use then try your ISP’s DNS servers. Or try Open DNS servers.

That particular error means the DNS lookup failed.

DNS lookup converts the Domain Name (in your case www⋅usa⋅canon⋅com) into its actual IP address (23.73.207.6 for that domain) which is what browsers require to actual make the connect to the site.

The fact it eventually works if you click the reload button, indicates there’s likely a “significant” delay in how long it’s taking your particular DNS server to respond to the lookup request.

Running the following command from a powershell prompt…

Measure-Command { nslookup DOMAIN.NAME.GOES.HERE }

will show how long your DNS is taking to respond and, if it’s more than ~100 Milliseconds, you should switch to a “faster” DNS server.

Personally, I used a program from Gibson Research called DNS Benchmark to locate the fastest DNS servers for my particular location and, even though my ISP is Google Fiber, their DNS server’s weren’t actually the fastest (they came in #4 & #6 out of the 50 tested.)

Chrome in particular has its own separate DNS cache, so you might try clearing that as well.

• Go to chrome://net-internals/#dns
      • Click Clear host cache

You might also try a release/renew of your IP address, if you didn’t include those steps when you flushed the DNS cache of the OS.

Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) | Windows 10 Home 21H1

Here is a website that can check if a domain is reachable: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

Just enter the domain to check it.

If it’s up for them, but still down for you, that is most likely a DNS provider issue on your end. In that case, try the advice Mele20 gave above about changing your DNS servers.

Isitdownrightnow.com helps you find whether the website you are trying to browse is down or not. Check if the website is down just for you or everyone around the globe. All you have to do is type the name of the website you want to check and a fresh site status test will be performed on the domain name in real time using our online website checker tool. Isitdownrightnow.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by the services monitored on this web site.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by JohnW.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    Reply To: Can’t reach website using chrome and edge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: