News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can't read file on SSD

Posted on CWBillow Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Can't read file on SSD

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

CWBillow
      AskWoody Plus

I store my setup files on an SSD.  As part of the group, I have my registration info for each program on a (separate) text file (doc sent from each compay).

I have one — We PDF Watermark Remover – that when I install it, and then try to read the registration file, it tells me the file cannot be read.

If however, I do a search, and then copy the file to my “C” drive, it can be read.

I have run a check for errors, there are none.

What could cause this, and how do I fix it?

Chuck Billow

• #1962030 Reply

mn–
      AskWoody Lounger

Been a while since I last ran into this, but…

I believe it might be open in another application. Or in worse cases, falsely marked as open, which is a filesystem error that has traditionally been difficult for Windows to handle.

The latter was what happened the last time I ran Windows XP at home, on a kids’ games box. Rebooted to CHKDSK, it did something… and never successfully booted up Windows afterwards. No hardware errors found with Linux, disk could be read in raw mode just fine but NTFS was partially scrambled. Nasty problem if it had been an important system.

• #1962269 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

It could be a permission problem, or Windows controlled folder access.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can't read file on SSD

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.