News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Can’t Seem To Get Update To Work

Posted on whatthetech Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Can’t Seem To Get Update To Work

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

whatthetech
      AskWoody Plus

I’m running Windows 10 Pro version 1809 and want to update to 1903. I followed Woody’s instructions from the Computerworld article, so I have set updates to the Semi-Annual Channel, Feature Updates set to 180 days, and Quality Updates set to 15 days. I turned the computer off last night to cold-boot it this morning, for “possibly turning it off then on again to awake the upgrade genie”. I’ve done that, but this morning it would not update.

I’m sure I’m missing something, but I’m not sure what. I still hesitate to “Check For Updates”, but I want to get to 1903. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

• #2016428 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Here is information on the settings I suggest.

In Group Policy set Automatic Updates to Enabled, value=2. See this post.
      Set Quality deferral pulldown to 0.
      Set SAC and Feature deferal to 130
      Do not click on “check for updates.” Wait for the computer to check for updates.
      Use wushowhide to hide anything in the update queue you don’t want (for example, 1909, if it shows up).
      Be sure to clear the update queue of updates you hide. Link to AKB2000013 is in the first link above.

Note: since we are so close to Patch Tues, you may get the Dec CU before 1903.

• #2016469 Reply

whatthetech
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you for your reply.

I saw your screenshot, but cannot seem to find the path to Windows Update. Could you show me the full path?

Thanks.

• #2016473 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

Open gpedit.msc
          Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Can’t Seem To Get Update To Work

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.