News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Can’t sleep

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Can’t sleep

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        YoungUser
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi

I’m suddenly having trouble getting my desktop PC to go into sleep mode, which I need from time to time because the fans are noisy. Until recently it wasn’t a problem. But in the past two weeks when I put it into sleep the computer stops for a second, then powers back up.

I’m running Win10 version 19041, 8GB of RAM, AMD FX processor.

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

Have you tried unplugging the various bits from it that you can, like any USB devices (keyboard and mouse) and network cables, then put it to sleep, to see if that stops it? If so, you can use trial and error to see which one is at fault. In my case, when I had this kind of thing happening, it turned out to be network related. Once you have the cause narrowed down, you can better figure out how to fix it!

If you set Windows to sleep when you press the power button, you can unplug the mouse and keyboard at the same time, otherwise you probably want to do them one by one so you have a way to tell it to sleep, of course.

The next step (if it still wakes even with all the unpluggable stuff unplugged) would be to go to the system event viewer and see if you can find something unusual in there.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.21.5 User Edition)

PKCano
          Manager

Or look in Task Manager and see what running that wakes it.

YoungUser
        AskWoody Lounger

Being somewhat unskilled, what would I look for in either Task Manager or System Event?

anonymous

Also check for updated video drivers.

JohnW
        AskWoody Plus

Admin elevated Command Prompt > ‘Powercfg /requests’

Lists the current tasks or processes that are preventing sleep.

YoungUser
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi JohnW

Ran powercfg/requests and the reply to all was “none’

JohnW
          AskWoody Plus

Then I would follow up with all of the earlier suggestions from Ascaris, and report the results here.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by JohnW.
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

Two most common reasons I’ve seen for this with Win10 is Windows Updates and video drivers. Check Windows for updates and make sure you have the latest video drivers installed.

CraigS26
        AskWoody Plus

I just ran — powercfg -lastwake — in a regular Cmd Prompt and got — High Definition Audio Controller — as usual. I ran Elev Cmd Prompt — Powercfg /requests — as you did and got 3 lines dealing with a Garmin Express update earlier today – BUT NOT – anything about the Audio Controller.

So try the “lastawake” phrase; I don’t know a resolution just because it may say HD Audio Controller but report IF you get anything and the others can go from there.

W10 Pro 20H2 / Hm-Stdnt Ofce '16 C2R / HP Envy Desktop-Ethernet/ 12 GB / 256G SSD + 1 TB HDD / i5-8400 CoffeeLake-S / GP=2 + FtrU=Semi-Annual + Feature Defer = 1 + QU=0

YoungUser
        AskWoody Lounger

I may have found the problem: Webex Teams. When I shut it down I can make the computer go to sleep.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Can’t sleep

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.