News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Card Services

Posted on Richard Merchant Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Card Services

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        Richard Merchant
        AskWoody Plus

I have an application which uses a Microsoft Access 2003 runtime.  The program (likely associated with a recent update to Win10Pro) has started asking for a Smart Card – “Select a smart card device” apparently from Windows Security.

I have tried every way I can think of to defeat ‘card services’ – stopping the service from running and so on.  I can’t make the popup go away  (I can bypass it but that is just an annoyance).    Can anyone advise how to get rid of card services – I don’t have a card reader anyway insofar as I am aware!

Thanks  Richard

Screen-Shot-29-06-20-at-10.48-AM

Attachments:
      • #2276498 Reply
        anonymous

Disable Smart Card Device Enumeration Service.

• #2276977 Reply
        Richard Merchant
        AskWoody Plus

“Disable smart card device enumeration service”.    Already done.    And “smart card” service is disabled too.   Nevertheless the alert/error pops up.

As I noted I searched for anything that said ‘smart card’ and disabled everything I could find.    There’s not actually much….

R

• #2276996 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Probably a N/A here, as I am Win 7 and no MS Access. But:
        Is there a possibility that there is something within either Access or the application that is triggering a security check, which resolves to a Smart Card? Maybe a subtle change was included in some Office update, if not a Win 10 update?

• #2277033 Reply
        Richard Merchant
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul:   unfortunately I’m not sophisticated enough to know how or where to check for such a security check.  It must be some subtle change, likely within Win10 as it seems unlikely that Access Runtime 2003 has been attended to by MS for some years!

• #2277083 Reply
        Rick Corbett
        AskWoody_MVP

That sounds like Windows wants authentication for something or a stored credential has become corrupted.

1. Press winkey+r together then, when the Run dialog appears, type control into it and press the Return/Enter key.

2. When Control Panel opens, change the View by option (on the right-hand side) from Category to Small icons.

3. Open Credential Manager and check the Windows Credentials category for any entries related to Microsoft Access or Smart Card, probably under Generic Credentials. (Note that if your app links to a website then entries may be stored under Web Credentials rather than Windows Credentials.)

4. Click on the Back up Credentials link and save them to another location before removing any entries.

5. Remove any credentials related to Microsoft Access and/or Smart Card from the credential vault then close Credential Manager.

6. Sign out/sign in to Windows or restart then try your Access app.

(Have a read of the section labelled Generic Credentials in this Microsoft Kinds of Credentials doc for more info. You can remove credentials and then just re-enter the info if an app asks. The credentials will be added back into the credentials vault if you choose to save them.)

Hope this helps… post back with the results.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Card Services

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.