News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Catalog entire CD and DVD collection

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Catalog entire CD and DVD collection

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Author
        Rush2112
        AskWoody Plus

I have over 1000 CD’s and around 100 Blu-Ray/DVD’s in my collection. I am looking to get some kind of software that I can use with a bar code scanner to be able to catalog my entire collection in the easiest and fastest way. Yes I know I could enter them in manually, but that would take hours and several days to do.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.

jhenley
        AskWoody Plus

You might try Libib.com they have a free library software mainly for books but it will read bar codes and can be used for other items.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Rush2112
        AskWoody Plus

I will certainly check Libib.com out, thanks!

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I rip them all to my PC with MediaMonkey (the free version is great) and it collects all the data about albums and tracks from the internet. Might be a bit slow with 1000, but it takes about a minute to rip a CD.

cheers, Paul

2 users thanked author for this post.
          Rush2112
          AskWoody Plus

I have a few questions about MediaMonkey. I decided to forego the bar code scanner for an inexpensive USB connected CD/DVD drive. Basically, how does MediaMonkey work? Is it as simple as putting in a CD or DVD and it scanning the disc? Are you able to keep the information it finds stored on your computer? Can you share your library of CD/DVD disc’s information?

Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Insert CD/DVD, select Rip.
            The contents will be stored on your machine in a location you specify and the track info will be saved to the MM database.

What do you mean share?
            You can print lists of your stuff.
            You can set up filters to make viewing a bit easier.
            You can get addon scripts to add extra features.
            There is even an iTunes XML export addon.

cheers, Paul

Rush2112
              AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul, you have been quite helpful. I meant share as in to share my list that I compile via online viewing of friends?

Paul T
                AskWoody MVP

I doubt anything does that. You’d need to set something up yourself.

cheers, Paul

Rush2112
        AskWoody Plus

Paul,

Do I have to use my CD/DVD drive in my computer to use this software? I’d rather not if required to do, to spare the extensive use of my CD/DVD drive in order to catalog my collection. I have purchased a UPC bar code scanner and I am looking for software that works with the scanner. If this clarifies.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I realised you wanted to scan the barcodes – it was an alternative.

DVD drives are cheap, there is no downside to thrashing it. If you have a really good one with special capabilities, install another for the scan.

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Have a look at the offerings from Collectorz.com. I’ve used their Music and Movies products for a few years and have been very happy with them. These are separate packages and both are available in versions for Windows, Online and Mobile (iOS and Android). If you elect to use both the Windows and Mobile versions, they will sync back and forth to each other so that you can use either interface to see and work with your collection. I use both and typically do my data entry through the Windows version, then I have the Mobile version with me when I am out searching the used and vintage stores for “treasures” I don’t already have. Being able to check your collection to see if you have something is handy with the Mobile version. Hey, with a couple of thousand CD’s/Albums in your collection, you sometimes forget what you already have 🙂

These are commercial programs and require a yearly subscription (around $40 USD) for Music (windows AND Mobile as a bundle), but they usually offer discounts on subscription renewals and also give you a break when you buy multiple subscriptions like Music and Movies at the same time.

These products support bar code scanning as well. The mobile apps will use your phone camera as the scanner, and the desktop version works with scanners (never used this feature myself). You can also use a separate mobile app they sell named “Barry” that can be used to scan bar codes and upload them to the Windows version of the product. I started cataloguing my collections going the Barry and Windows route, but recently have just been using the Mobile app with its scanning capability instead. Both methods work well.

The Collectorz folks are a small development team out of the Netherlands, and are very responsive to customer feedback on product enhancements. They also have a good reputation for their customer service, but I have not needed to use it myself. They issue product updates and upgrades on a frequent basis, so you do get good value for your subscription cost. I tend to avoid subscriptions whenever possible, but I am happy to pay for these based on the value received and the quality of the product.

Collectorz offers free trials on their products, and I would highly recommend them. My only complaint about the cataloging experience is that it takes a while to do it right, and that is entirely on me. I catalogue a few CDs and get distracted listening to something good as I am working, then I get side tracked and lost in the music 🙂

I hope this helps you in your quest to get your collection catalogued.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

For Movies (and Tv series) one of the best is Eric’s Movie DataBase (EMDB).

Various ways to add movies

Manually enter titles.
        Scan Disks or Folders.
        Use a Barcode Scanner.
        Import from files.

Rush2112
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Alex, I however are more interested in creating a catalog my more than 1000 CD’s and I only have maybe 150 DVD/Blu Ray’s. I would like to how I could use a CD/DVD drive to scan the Artist/Title/Track listing onto my computer. I realize that I probably can’t scan a Blu Ray on the drive, but I have several DVD’s.

bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

Windows Media Player will rip CD’s along with track title/artist info/album art, and do it rather quickly.  Just launch Media Player and insert a CD into your optical drive.  The appropriate interface will open.

I replaced my DVD drive with a Blu-Ray/DVD drive, and rip my movies to my NAS using MakeMKV.  VLC Player can play MKV package files.  I use Digiarty’s WinX HD Video Converter to create .MP4 files from the MKV package, and can play those with Windows Media Player.

I also have Plex Media Server installed on my NAS, and Plex Media Player on my TV’s, so I can stream my own content from my NAS.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Rush2112
        AskWoody Plus

Sorry, but I know how to do that. I am trying to make an inventory list like a Word type document of my entire CD and or DVD/Blu Ray collection. I don’t want to burn or rip anything. I already know how to do those. I just want to make out like a catalog of my collection to possibly share with other people.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul, you have been quite helpful. I meant share as in to share my list that I compile via online viewing of friends?

Use any app that reads CD\DVD bar codes a creates a list of headers/tracks…
        Copy/export the list to a (DB) file and share.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Alex5723.
    Viewing 11 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Catalog entire CD and DVD collection

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.