News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • CD DVD drives disappear after MBR2GPT

Posted on WSEssjay Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware CD DVD drives disappear after MBR2GPT

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  WSEssjay 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

WSEssjay
      AskWoody Plus

I have a CD/dvd and Blueray drive installed and as of last week they were both there and working.

I used the MBR2GPT .exe to convert my OS disk to GPT, the why isn’t important, and after it was all done,   I have no CD DVD drives at all. I use them to rip cds for my library and yes I still buy CDs so this is a little bit of an inconvenience.

I tried uninstalling the ATAPI drivers in Device damager and reboot, nothing.

I tried reg.exe add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

That is now in the registry, there but still no drives.

I find it difficult to believe both drives went down at the same time, therefore, there must be another solution. *heavysigh*

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

TIA

Z

oh, hardware list= Asus hero Vll lastest bios on Ryzen 7 3700x

• This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by  WSEssjay.
    • #1989348 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

Have you tried putting a data/music CD in one of the drives to see if the device pops up in File Explorer? I’m assuming your using W10, as there is no mention of the OS or version.

Winaero Tweaker is a great little tweak utility that can open up lots of hidden settings, including what appear to be missing CD/DVD drives 😉

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1989766 Reply

WSEssjay
      AskWoody Plus

Lol OMG, yes win 10  1903 i think. A brand new install of said OS. THAT ordeal really really makes me hate micro shaft.

Putting in the CD to rip it is what started this thread, my ripper says no drive present.

I ripped a CD just before the conversion so that’s what makes me think converting to GPT started the problem. I could be wrong and it’s completely unrelated. Thank you

• #1991089 Reply

wavy
      AskWoody Plus

I would uninstall drivers/devices from device manager and reboot.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    • #1991224 Reply

anonymous

Yep, did that. They don’t show up in the BIOS either so I’m going to have to pull the thing apart and try another sata Port and check them in my other rig.

Previously they did show up as a boot option.

Thanks

• #1992651 Reply

WSEssjay
      AskWoody Plus

I am wondering if this is a BIOS issue specifically UEFI related. GPT needs/is UEFI and drivers loaded are UEFI.

If there is no UEFI for CD ROMS ( legacy ) or I do not have the option set up correctly, that might be the problem.

Anyone else know more than I do about this?

Thanks

sj

• #1993301 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

UEFI is a boot mechanism and it shouldn’t interrupt CD/DVDs, except maybe at boot if the legacy boot in your BIOS is flakey.

Turn off the PC and disconnect the data cables from all disks except the CD. Turn on and boot to the BIOS. Can you see the CD?
      Turn off and connect the DVD. Can you see both?
      Now the HDD(s).

cheers, Paul

• #1993659 Reply

WSEssjay
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul, was reluctant to get down and open my case and fiddle with anything ( its a floor standing monster ) but I checked all the cabling and pulled the two drive SATA cables out of 5-6 ports and put them 2-3 and viola! I have cd drives. Yay. I’m not going to bother with the 2 ports that seem broken even though this is a brand new Asus Hero, I’ll never use them anyway.

Thank you to all who answered, sometimes the simplest is the rightest and GPT had nothing to do with it. hehe

Sj

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: CD DVD drives disappear after MBR2GPT

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.