News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• CEO And Chair: Maybe Not A Good Idea

Home Forums Outside the box The Junk Drawer CEO And Chair: Maybe Not A Good Idea

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Lars220
        AskWoody Plus

This here Junk Drawer is allowed to hold controversial topics, I suspect.

“Satya Nadella, who became CEO of Microsoft in 2014, is now also chair of the board. Microsoft’s board voted unanimously to award Nadella with the board chair role on June 16.”

Microsoft appoints CEO Satya Nadella as chair of the board
        By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | June 17, 2021

Not everyone thinks this is a good idea. Especially those concerned with giant corporations governance policies. The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article on a different view of how great this news is:
        Microsoft’s Combination of CEO and Chairman Roles Goes Against Trend

By Mengqi Sun – June 17, 2021
        “Microsoft’s decision comes as more U.S. companies have separated the CEO and chairman positions in recent years, following a push by corporate governance experts, shareholders and, in some cases, regulators to untangle the two roles … “It’s a bad move,” said Charles Elson, professor of corporate governance at the University of Delaware. “The person being monitored by the board, the CEO, shouldn’t chair the board that monitors them.”

Some might say it looks like the fox guarding the hen house. (Me included, Bad fox.)

2 users thanked author for this post.
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

One could write a book on how many times corporate decline starts with merging the chair and CEO roles.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: CEO And Chair: Maybe Not A Good Idea

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.