News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • change in D: drive accessibility in1809

Posted on foxaroni Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update change in D: drive accessibility in1809

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

foxaroni
      AskWoody Lounger

Somewhere along the update trail I now have intermittent accessibility to my D: (data) drive. This affects a number of apps. For example, I go to my “Pictures” folder on the D: drive and open a .jpg file in Photoshop. After tweaking it, I click “Save” or “Save As.” The source (D:) shows up in the “Save/Save As” window. Clicking on either choice, however,  gives me this message:

D:\Users\(my name)\Pictures\ some filename.jpg
      File not found
      Check the file name and try again.

Instead, I must save it to the C: drive. (I use C:\Users\(My Name)\Desktop\some filename.jpg.) Interestingly enough, the picture then does NOT show up on the desktop, as the PC is using the Desktop folder on the D: drive.

As mentioned, this happens with several apps. It all started after an update, I think. Is a registry edit required here? Thanks for any and all help.

• #1994810 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Is your D: drive powering down after X minutes? This may cause the issue.

Why is your desktop on D?

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1994892 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

From the description, it sounds like the whole user folder got copied to the D: drive and now windows is confused.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #2000646 Reply

foxaroni
      AskWoody Lounger

Hi, Paul–thanks for the response.  No, the D: drive does not power down intermittently. I put the working desktop on the D: drive because it is very large–several GB in size. My C: drive is a 256 GB  SSD, so I try to put as much as possible on my 1 TB D: drive. (I know the desktop file needs to be cleaned up.)

Hi, CADesertRat–thanks for responding. You gave me some ideas, which I will follow up. If I figure it out, I will post the solution.

• #2002123 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

256GB is plenty big enough for Windows – I fit W10 on my 120GB drive.

Move all the standard Windows stuff back to C: and redirect things like Documents / Videos / Music to D:.

cheers, Paul

• #2000738 Reply

PaulK
      AskWoody Lounger

This may be more confusing than helpful. These are Window 7; Windows 10 may have differences?

In Regedit, look at:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

I would opine that you will find that there is a difference in the definition(s) for Desktop from what you expect them to be.

Caution: Second entry in Shell Folders is:
      !Do not use this registry key REG_SZ Use the SHGetFolderPath or SHGetKnownFolderPath function instead
      (Sorry, the formatting here is misleading.)

Each user on the computer [ C:\Users\user-id ] has a discrete set of folder definitions.

The corresponding definitions for [ C:\Users\Public and for C:\ProgramData ] are at:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\rest same as both above

General Caution: See also the environment variables displayed by {Command Prompt} SET. There could be interaction of some of these with the ‘User Shell Folders’ defined.

See also https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/931087/ ,
      and some hits from a Google Search for [ user shell folders ].

Configuration suggestion: Consider moving your voluminous files from D:\Desktop
      to D:\someplace_else, perhaps D:\My Documents\something, or D:\My Pictures, etc., using folder nesting as needed. If your real Desktop actually is intended to reside on D:, you may want to put on the Desktop only shortcuts to the working files and folders, not the files/folders themselves.

Edit: I just got around to looking at this thread; it is somewhat related.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: change in D: drive accessibility in1809

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.