News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Change User Name and Profile

Posted on Niterider4 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Change User Name and Profile

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Niterider4 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Niterider4
      AskWoody Plus

I have a brand new Windows 10 Pro computer. When I set it up, I inadvertently created a Microsoft account instead of a local account, and now my user name and profile path are not what I want them to be.

I know I can change my account name, but that will leave the profile path unchanged. I also know there is a process for changing the profile path (i.e. C:/Users/xxx), but it looks like it could have unwanted side effects (i.e. programs and processes in the future looking for the original path).

First question: Does it matter what my profile path is? If I change my user name to what I want it to be, does it matter that my profile path is different? I could just change my user name and leave the path as is, if that is best.

Second: Since I do not have any programs, data or user files on the computer yet, could I just (a) create a second administrator local account with the name I want, (b) delete the original user MS account, (c) delete the original user directory under C:/Users, and (d) link the new local account to my MS credentials? Will this accomplish the same thing as changing my user account name and profile path?

Thanks in advance.

• #1766821 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

In the past, it has not recommended to delete the first-created administrator account. But since you are just starting out, and have not installed third-party programs or accumulated user data yet, here is my recommendation.

First, create your Factoy Restore Recovery Disks (or USB). Most new PCs come with the ability to do a 0ne-time image of the Restore partition.

Second, do a Factory Restore, either from the Restore partition of the Recovery media. This will put you back to day one.
      Create a LOCAL (not Microsoft) account with the User ID you want. Do this offline (see this procedure) so you have everything set up the way you want it before you connect to the Internet or Microsoft.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1766990 Reply

Niterider4
      AskWoody Plus

Great answer. Thank you!

Dell Canada confirms this approach, although no need to create a recovery disk as Windows 10 can be restored from within Windows.

I am restored and back in business. Thanks again!

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Change User Name and Profile

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.