News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Changing Patch Watch and giving you more information

Home Forums AskWoody blog Changing Patch Watch and giving you more information

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

PATCH WATCH Changing Patch Watch and giving you more information By Susan Bradley A big change to Patch Watch Install updates at this time Security up
        [See the full post at: Changing Patch Watch and giving you more information]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

7 users thanked author for this post.
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

“A big change to Patch Watch. One of the big takeaways of the survey we did a few weeks ago was learning that the vast majority of you do NOT read the patching spreadsheets…”

I certainly read a multitude of them, but the new format looks fine.  The only issue I can see would be during travel (2-3 months) w/o fast Internet (Sat or Phone Hotspot only).

Thanks!  The Patch Watch is great.

geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Our part on the other end is:

• inform what update installed or failed to install by KB number
        • inform what TargetReleaseVersion, if any
        • inform what operating system and version
        On Hiatus {with backup and coffee}
        offline▸ Win10Pro 2004.19041.572 x64 i3-3220 RAM8GB HDD Firefox83.0b3 WindowsDefender TRV=1909 WuMgr
        offline▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.685 x86 Atom N270 RAM2GB HDD WindowsDefender WuMgr GuineaPigVariant
        online▸ Win10Pro 20H2.19042.804 x64 i5-9400 RAM16GB HDD Firefox86.0 WindowsDefender TRV=20H2 WuMgr
        jaman57
        AskWoody Plus

I LOVE the spreadsheets!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        stanhutchings
        AskWoody Plus

I’m a 1-computer Win10 2004 Home user. I appreciate the DEFCON report. I will certainly appreciate risk assessment for small, not-too technical users, and would especially appreciate advice if the combination of Microsoft Defender Antivirus and Malwarebytes Premium will protect against the “latest and worst ” of the malware going around (and if not, what to do).

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Several people here use both and claim to have not problems and no malware.

Ultimately, if you do get malware you need a good backup to recover.
        You should backup regularly to an external disk that is not left connected to the computer.

cheers, Paul

jkazan
        AskWoody Plus

I really appreciate the new format, after having waded through the charts for hours in years past so see what was applicable.  As a home user of WindowsPro x64, I appreciate guidance and LOVE the videos, which I’ve found help demystify processes such as setting the TargetFeatureRelease version.  An outline of steps for accompanying videos would be helpful as well to avoid needing to start and stop the video at each step, then initiating steps on the machine.

PKCano
          Manager

For information on Windows Update Settings see AKB2000016. In addition to instructions for the settings, there are screenshots below.

rick41
        AskWoody Lounger

As a prerequisite to using 2020’s installed and activated Windows 7 ESU license, it was necessary to download and install the “ExtendedSecurity Updates (ESU) Licensing Preparation Package,” KB4538483, from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  Is there any similar step required for the 2021 ESU?

Steve S.
        AskWoody Plus

Susan, Thanks for all the work on the spreadsheets in the past. Actionable “executive summaries” does seem like a very good idea going forward, though.

Couple questions about wushowhide.diagcab and its use:

The video link in the newsletter showing how to use wushowhide doesn’t include unchecking the “Advanced” box. For a long time, the recommendation here has been to uncheck this. I never knew exactly why… Do you no longer recommend doing so? I’d like to understand the impact of check vs unchecked.

Also, is the fact Microsoft has removed the tool from their website another sign of them removing control from the user? Seems like MS has been slowly turning the screw bit by bit over the Win 10 years. Do you expect MS will eventually make wushowhide inoperative?

Win7 Pro x64(Group B), Win10 Pro x64 1909, Win10 Home 1909, Linux Mint + a cat with 'tortitude'.

Susan Bradley
          Manager

They’d better not made it inoperative.  Trying to figure out now if this is just a temp thing as they move things around on servers up there or intentional.  Hang loose.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Steve S.
            AskWoody Plus

Any clarification on the “Advanced” check/uncheck choice? I always uncheck it but am just wondering what happens if I have a senior moment and forget to do so… 😉

Win7 Pro x64(Group B), Win10 Pro x64 1909, Win10 Home 1909, Linux Mint + a cat with 'tortitude'.

Ken
            AskWoody Plus

I also use wumgr for hiding or unhiding updates. It appear to work much faster than wushowhide.  However, I am pussled by the “download” button in wumgr: it downloads updates into a wumgr folder. Then what?

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

If we are on Jan updates why

PATCH
        NUMBER
        RELEASE
        DATE
        STATUS SPECIAL NOTES DESCRIPTION INSTALL NOTES CHANGES
        4598479 1/12/2021 Defer Servicing-stack update For WU/WSUS now included in the CU
        4598229 1/12/2021 Defer Cumulative update
        4586878 1/12/2021 Skip Preview .Net Framework cumulative update Does not include new security updates
        4535680 1/12/2021 Defer Security update for Secure Boot DBX

And why are some spread sheets displayed in ~half size font. This has been a continuing annoyance!!!

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
          Susan Bradley
          Manager

You are looking at the wrong link.  Look for the ones under January 31 date.  And I will only be doing one spreadsheet, not the multitude of them.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

wavy
        AskWoody Plus

You are looking at the wrong link.  Look for the ones under January 31 date.  And I will only be doing one spreadsheet, not the multitude of them.

OOps and the font issue is thus banished too.
        Thanks for your efforts!

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
        PerthMike
        AskWoody Plus

The Master Patch List is my lifeline. I hope you don’t retire the PDFs, it’s why I subscribe and pay for my membership. It’s the single most important resource this site gives for me.

I get it because you do list whether to patch or defer and whether there are known issues, I very much doubt Microsoft gives such advice.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PerthMike.
          Susan Bradley
          Manager

I will still do each month and link them.  But the individual ones take me forrrrreeeeverrrrr.   My philosophy is that by the end of each month each update should be dealt with.  If you need a specific month’s update, you’ll be able to go back to that month.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

Colorado_Hiker
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks SO much for all the work you do (and have done!) for us.  I -DO- like, and heavily rely on, the spreadsheets, and I’ve always wondered how you were able to put them together every month.  Now that I watch the video (great, btw!) I realize the mammoth task you’ve been undertaking.  So, even though I have to create the spreadsheet myself, still a giant THANK YOU for all your guidance and efforts.

I still don’t install any patches until you give the official okey-doke.  🙂

Ken
        AskWoody Plus

RE: Conexant drivers. In this newsletter you give a link to “linus tech tips” for uninstalling them.  In earlier conversations with Paul T and others, they just suggest uninstalling from device manager: see #2338328 and many previous posts.

Now I am totally confused!

My Lenovo E570 Win10Pro 1909 laptop has three Conexant drivers, but only one of them is within the range mentioned in post # 2308178. If I follow Linus tech notes and uninstall and then delete the Conexant folder, would all three Conexant drivers be deleted?

Which advice do I follow?

b
          AskWoody MVP

Those instructions also use Device Manager to replace the Conexant audio driver with the Microsoft default for the duration of the feature update, so the end result is the same. If you only replace the one driver suggested then the others should be unaffected.

Ken
            Ken
            AskWoody Plus

2004 has not been offered yet. I have TRV enabled and set to 2004. Do I need to uninstall the Conexant driver first so that 2004 is offered, or keep waiting for it to be offered and only then uninstall the driver?

b
              AskWoody MVP

My reading of Susan’s newsletter advice and link which you mentioned is, “Do it now, in order to unblock 2004”:

If you are in this boat, I’d recommend proactively removing the Conexant audio driver and attempting the upgrade once the driver is removed. To do this, follow the instructions here.

Something to notice is that the May 2020 update won’t unlock automatically and you might have to wait even a few days for Windows to realize you no longer have a problematic setup (if you want to wait less, you can also use the Windows 10 Update Assistant). Once the update appears, you can update without any problems (in my side I’ve got zero errors or blue screens, as opposed to what has been told with the Conexant driver).
              How to completely uninstall the Conexant audio driver from Windows 10 (and unlock the May 2020 Update)

anonymous

regarding the silent removal of the wushowhide.diagcab

I had some issues on a PC with KB592440 ( W10-1809 EN_US with dutch language packs) not properly following the dutch settings needed for  an application. Rolling back helped

I wanted to suppress the patch from our internal WSUS repo using wushowhide.diagcab but was suprised it vanished from the official Microsoft Download site.

Is there some reason given by Microsoft why it has been removed?

PKCano
          Manager

You can find it on OlderGeeks.com or MajorGeeks.com (not from the author’s site).

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Changing Patch Watch and giving you more information

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.