News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chasing the elusive upgrade for Win10 Pro v1803

Home Forums AskWoody blog Chasing the elusive upgrade for Win10 Pro v1803

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        PKCano
        Da Boss

I have been doing some testing on my Win10 Pro v1803 machine. I wanted to see if the pulldown deferral settings in the Windows Update GUI under Advanc
        [See the full post at: Chasing the elusive upgrade for Win10 Pro v1803]

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2016672 Reply
        abbodi86
        AskWoody_MVP

wushowhide cannot show “yet optional” 1909

you can try powershell scans, no reboot is actually required after changing deferral settings

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2016673 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I was looking at something the average User could do, my main focus.
          The “2” in GP is the only thing that is not obvious (and maybe wushowhide 🙂 )

2 users thanked author for this post.
          • #2016748 Reply
            abbodi86
            AskWoody_MVP

Start command prompt cmd.exe as administrator, and execute these commands one at a time
            https://pastebin.com/Ec5SxTMg

for the last two commands, first wait until Windows Update page is opened
            then run the last command

remember, this only works if AU policy is set to 2 (notify before download..)
            Home editions are excluded

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2016677 Reply
          abbodi86
          AskWoody_MVP

If you are interested, i have a way to mimic “Check for updates” scan (i.e. reflected in WU page), and without initiating any download or installation

it actually only works with GP “2” value inplace 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2018111 Reply
          abbodi86
          AskWoody_MVP

WuMgr is now updated to support the new OptionalInstallation updates
          https://github.com/DavidXanatos/wumgr/releases/tag/v1.1

• #2016860 Reply
        woody
        Da Boss

Very good news!

I’m still not sure how MS is pushing 1803 customers onto 1903 (or 1909).

• #2141953 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I’ll add basically the same question: I’m running 1809.  I have no idea how to move to 1903.  Susan recommended “but we recommend jumping to Version 1903 at this time.”  I just ran the little batch file you supplied [very cool! Thanks!]  but…  it only showed today’s defender update.   Did I do something wrong?

Also: is there a way to run settings>security and update from an admin cmd prompt?   It [upsets] my system a bit to actually log in as admin [resets things like mouse and kbd settings that don’t get changed back when I log-out of the admin account] so it’d be great to be able to check those settings you did from something elevated in my user account.

• #2141960 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

I’m running 1809.  I have no idea how to move to 1903

2 current options :

1. Download the ISO 1903 from heidoc.net. Mount the ISO and run the setup.exe
        2. If are on Pro version set Feature updates to 120+ and quality updates to 0.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chasing the elusive upgrade for Win10 Pro v1803

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.