News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Check disk modes effectiveness

Posted on Zaphyrus Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Check disk modes effectiveness

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

So a friend ran into a problem with his disk and he checked in check  disk read only mode if his Disk was ok, fortunately everything went fine  but I am not comfortable with that resolution

Is check disk in read only mode, as effective when you use it with the R or F prefij?

to be more precise, Do check disk in read only mode   search for issues as deep as when it is programmed to repair damaged sectors and errors? (yes i am aware Chkdsk only search for issues not repair them)

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
        • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Zaphyrus.
      • #2280618 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Check Disk tests the meta data (file size and location) to find inconsistencies. If it finds problems it reports them. You didn’t get any errors so there is nothing else to do.

The /R switch tests every sector not in use on the disk by writing and reading data. There is no need to use this on modern disks (anything in the last 20 years) because they are self healing and never report problems unless they are failing catastrophically.

Check Disk does attempt to fix problems and if used with the /R switch will mark bad sectors if found (at which point you need to backup and replace the disk immediately).

See this article for details on checking your disk and data.
        Simple and cheap data backup and storage @ AskWoody

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2280744 Reply
          Zaphyrus
          AskWoody Lounger

I see, well then I guess my friend did the right thing, thank you very much for giving me mental peace

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Check disk modes effectiveness

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.