News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome (64) crashes after about a minute. Help?

Posted on rpkroppjr Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Chrome (64) crashes after about a minute. Help?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        rpkroppjr
        AskWoody Plus

Suddenly this morning Chrome (64) repeatedly crashes/quits after about a minute or so. It says it’s up to date – Version 85.0.4183.121. I’m not a novice at keeping Windows happy, but this is unprecedented for me – a sudden change like this over night. Using Opera right now for this. I’d really appreciate someone out there to weigh in. Thanks . . . .

• #2298122 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

If you have a problem with a Chrome release report it to this link Chrome issues

You can also go to this link for help with crashes Chrome crashes

Win7 Home x64 MacOS Chromebook

• #2298254 Reply
        rpkroppjr
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the links. Not sure I’m tech savvy enough to do anything else than describe the behavior, tho. I’ll give it a whirl when I have some time later this week.

The single Update for Microsoft Windows that occurred just before this madness began is KB4570723. I’ve never done an uninstall for an update – fearing gremlins lurking too. Any advice on that score?

Thanks again . . . .

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2298280 Reply
          GoneToPlaid
          AskWoody Lounger

Uninstall KB4570723 since it is a preview update. You should not have any issues uninstalling KB4570723.

Never install preview updates, as that is asking for problems. On my Win7 computers, I am updated through August, yet I am holding off on the September updates for now.

The only time I had an issue uninstalling a Windows Update was way back when one particular update in which Microsoft unintentionally blocked computers with specific CPUs from receiving further Windows Updates. I had to do a restore from a backup in order to fix that mess.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2298286 Reply
            Myst
            AskWoody Plus

The only updates I run are for Chrome so I have nothing to compare when talking about the Windows updating process in combination with Chrome. Glad you could help @GoneToPlaid.

• #2298259 Reply
        Myst
        AskWoody Plus

As far as the updating goes, My Win7 has retired from that task. I limit the use of internet access, using the PC as a workhorse for design/photography projects. So I can’t help you with the updating process. What system are you on, Win10? I would try the crash fix suggestions at the one link I gave you and maybe someone here at the forum can help by providing insight for updates and where Google Chrome is concerned. My best!

i want to add I’ve updated the Win7 to the latest Chrome build (85.0.4183.121) released September 21 and after a second Relaunch it fell into place just fine. First attempt it failed, could have been my AV interfering. Anyway it’s all good now. Hope you find a fix for the crash.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Myst.
      • #2298339 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

he only updates I run are for Chrome

Chrome autoupdate so there are no manual updates (or help-about Google Chrome).

• #2298367 Reply
          Myst
          AskWoody Plus

there are no manual updates (or help-about Google Chrome).

I never said anything about going “manual” for updating Chrome. I let the auto update take care of the updating process. I was referring to running updates in general and Chrome is it for me, last update I have for Win7 system alone is July. The link I posted for “help” with Chrome is just that, “help” for any issues the OP may be having.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome (64) crashes after about a minute. Help?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.