News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome account disabled

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        anonymous

I have a gmail account that I only use for Amazon.  It uses 2FA with a Yubiko key to log in.  Today I got a message to sign in to show it’s me.  When I signed in I got the message that the account is disabled.  I can try to get Google to reinstate it however it was a throw away account only used for Amazon and I prefer to use another account for Amazon.  There were no emails in the account as I deleted them previously.

My question is since I cannot get into the email account to properly delete it is the fact that it is disabled the same as if I formally deleted it?  I tried to send an email to the account and it did bounce back.

I could try to get Google to reinstate the account but then I would have to give them information and I feel the less Google knows about my other accounts, etc. the better.

• #2306402 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Today I got a message to sign in to show it’s me

Where did you get this message? Was it a phishing attempt? This may explain why the account has been disabled – attempt to break into it.

cheers, Paul

• #2306448 Reply
          anonymous

At first I also thought it might be a phising attempt.  I got another one on another account yesterday.  However, these were “on the fly” gmail accounts with made up names and info for use as throw away accounts for on-line ordering.  I use them for awhile and then delete them.  I think this has caught up with me.  These two accounts were made very recently.  It looks like Google is cracking down on these types of accounts with phony names, birthdays, and VPN, etc.  Both these accounts passed the HaveIBeenPwnd test.  The first one I filled out the form for Google to reinstate it.  The second one I just decided to treat as deleted.  I don’t have anymore of these accounts.  I had a total of 7 accounts and only two were legitimate.  I deleted the rest of the phony accounts.  🙂

• #2306468 Reply
        anonymous

I’m adding this in case someone else has this happen.  One of the criteria listed by Google that would trigger an account to be disabled is listed as:  “Asssociated with multiple other accounts or created by programs …”.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2306487 Reply
        wavy
        AskWoody Plus

“Asssociated with multiple other accounts or created by programs …”.

I guess that would be muddy enough info for any one 🤨😡

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
    Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome account disabled

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.