News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome – can you run with modified Hosts file

Posted on southieguy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Chrome – can you run with modified Hosts file

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  southieguy 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

On my Windows 7 PC, I used to use IE11 and a modified Hosts file.  Since switching to Chrome, I am using Adblock Plus.  ABP seems to eat up a lot of my memory.

My question is: can Chrome run effectively using a modified Hosts file?

If not, is there a less-memory (gobbling) intensive way to cut down on ads while running Chrome.

Thank you,

Dick-Y (southieguy)

• #1731826 Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

I use W7x64 16GB with Chrome for Netflix to force high resolutions via extensions and I use a modified hosts. x86 Chrome uses a little less memory than the x64 version, uBlock Original is about the least resource hungry of the ad blocking extensions.

Starting Chrome x86 and logging in to Netflix results in a total of over 1GB used by Chrome. It’s still a hog.

• #1732196 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you Satrow. For your modified Hosts file do you use the one provided by MVSP or the uBlock Original?

Dick

• #1732413 Reply

satrow
        AskWoody MVP

uBO covers browser(s) only and I use mainly ad/tracking/nuisance/mining lists, many other lists are available to suit whatever isn’t covered by the lists used in hosts, which uses block lists for system-wide coverage and is primarily defending against malicious and other sites but there’s a lot of crossover, eg my uBO mining list in my default browser, Pale Moon, uses only 96/632 – maybe because my hosts also has a mining list incorporated.

Generally, I remove lists which give me such a low ratio, all my other uBO lists have 80%+ usage.

Some non-browser software also use browser components, eg Steam’s default launcher uses Chrome (mine doesn’t usually 😉 ), so some crossover might give a useful coverage.

Current_hosts_uBO_lists

Attachments:
    • #1732605 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you Satrow.

Dick

• #1735099 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus
    • #1735573 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you Alex.

What’s the difference between  uBlock Origin and Extra?  Do I need both, or just one of them?

Dick-Y

• #1736606 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thank you Satrow.

Dick-Y

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome – can you run with modified Hosts file

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.