News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome – Connection Not Secure

Home Forums AskWoody support Questions: Browsers and desktop software Other browsers Chrome – Connection Not Secure

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henwin 1 month ago.

• Author

Henwin
      AskWoody Plus

A client of mine has the Chrome browser installed on her HP AiO Pavilion 23.  It has Win10 v1903 installed.  The machine has 4GB of RAM installed.

When she opens Chrome and attempts to go to her Gmail account a message pops up that says the “connection is not secure” and it won’t let the user go any further.

I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes (free) and did a scan: no problems found, except for a few PUPS which we quarantined.  I examined the startup folder and found nothing amiss.  I checked to be sure there was nothing in the task manager that looked suspicious…and there wasn’t.  I checked the Programs and Features folder in Control Panel for suspicious looking software: nothing.  I went online to Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=in+chrome+your+connection+is+not+private+) and ran through 4 or 5 videos checking and rechecking everything they recommended.  I de-installed and re-installed the software.  Nothing has helped get rid of the error.  Microsoft Edge works perfectly.

I’m all ears to any ideas you might have on how to get rid of this error.

• #2003718 Reply

satrow
      AskWoody MVP

Try using Chrome’s ‘Reset and Cleanup’ feature, chrome://settings/ and click ‘Advanced’ in the left pane to access it.

The malwarebyes log should be useful if that fails.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2003833 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

What URL does she use to connect to Gmail?

Are you able to get details from the not secure message?

cheers, Paul

• #2003955 Reply

Henwin
      AskWoody Plus

Is there more than 1 URL for Gmail?  She has a shortcut on the homepage that says “Gmail” that gets the response.  Also if one types in “gmail.com” manually into the address bar, one gets the same result.  Either way, it doesn’t work.

• #2003999 Reply

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

Is there more than 1 URL for Gmail?

Well yes, plenty, and then also redirections depending on how and when you’re using it and if you have cached credentials and…

These are also location-dependent (geographical load balancing and country-specific content), language-dependent (your browser may send a list of languages when asking for a web page) and, well, don’t know if they also check the browser’s user-agent line.

There are many ways how a connection might be “insecure”, the primary threat that it’s supposed to warn against is a man-in-the-middle attack. Other things throwing those as a side effect would include connection authentication screens, router configuration screens and such (“can’t get to where you wanted to go until you fix this” kind of thing), also missed browser or certificate updates (something is outdated so unable to verify), and…

• #2004015 Reply

Henwin
      AskWoody Plus

This is a US based browser for US based customer.  Other languages–than American English– are not germane to this problem.

• #2004540 Reply

Henwin
      AskWoody Plus

Don’t know.  I don’t have the computer.  Client has it.  I will send your suggestion to her.

thanks! 😉

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome – Connection Not Secure

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.