News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome, Firefox & Roboform

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        John18
        AskWoody Plus

I have used both Chrome and Roboform for years.  I have been able to fill out some client information in online forms (mostly email addresses) just by starting to type the address and options would show up.  Easy.

A few months ago this stopped working.  I went to my Chrome settings, which said that Roboform controlled, and tried to figure out the problem but was unsuccessful.  I tried to use Firefox in exactly the same way and it worked in Firefox, offering email options as I started to type.  I tried again in Chrome, but no luck.

In my mind I have eliminated Roboform as being the problem since it worked in Firefox.  For now I am using two browsers, Firefox for work stuff and Chrome for personal stuff.  Does anyone have a better solution other than dumping Chrome for Firefox? which also isn’t great for me since I have a ton of open tabs and Firefox won’t minimize them smaller than size 50 (pixels, I believe)?

Thank you.

• #2170709 Reply
        joep517
        AskWoody MVP

Have you tried re-installing RoboForm?

Is RoboForm up-to-date?

Have you considered the new Microsoft Edge browser?

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2170887 Reply
        John18
        AskWoody Plus

Hi,

No, but I can try that.

Yes it is.  An update rolled through last week.

No, I haven’t traditionally trusted Microsoft browsers and know this is now based on Chromium, but trusting a Microsoft browser would, at best, be unusual for me.

Thanks.  I’ll try uninstalling and reinstalling Roboform.

• #2171065 Reply
          Michael Austin
          AskWoody Plus

Does anyone have a better solution other than dumping Chrome for Firefox?

Yes I use RoboForm although every once in while I review alternatives. I won’t and don’t store my secret credentials on their cloud servers. With the myriad giant data breach/thefts these days I figure that’s asking for trouble to visit my door.

I think the idea of asking for RoboForm’s support with your need is a good one. I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that Chrome has some new, hidden things going on for you which are affecting RoboForm in ways which might be unseen.

Yes and no is my answer to your question. Because I had issues and problems with Chrome’s policies and Google’s telemetries, and because Firefox often had long spells where its releases break my add-ons, I just switch my primary browser back and forth whenever I want to based on my own needs. For around the past year I’ve primarily used Firefox because Chrome was having issues quickly retrieving its Google Mail pages. I tried Brave and liked it but it had that same issue Chrome did.

These days I use Chrome only when Firefox fails. I use Edge for any fast searches for which I don’t care if my telemetry would be tracked by Microsoft, and Edge is convenient for me because I allow it Windows 10’s Taskbar search box.

Life is too short for poorly supported tech or its company’s excuses. It helps to switch around the software you use to the companies which actually maintain it. For example, for a while I used Ghostery. Then I switched to Disconnect.

Finance, social and tech founder. My new, planet-wide talk show, Casual Saints, is being readied for an April/May 2020 debut.

• #2171051 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Have you asked Roboform?

cheers, Paul

• #2171228 Reply
        John18
        AskWoody Plus

Have you asked Roboform?

cheers, Paul

No.  They have, in the past, been difficult to get a  hold of for other questions.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome, Firefox & Roboform

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.