• Chrome, IE, Edge issue??

Author
    Topic

I am completely stumped. Not sure if this is where to post, but here goes. I can d/l .pdf files and view .pdf files from a lot of websites. One in question I can’t. I get the header, etc. but that’s it. Kinda’ futile and have tried this on ALL my desktops, laptops, tablets and phones with the same results. Not sure what else to do. I’ve set permissions, etc. in Chrome so many times I’m tired. They are web url’s so not sure if that’s why, but they don’t show up on the site page, on my systems. I’ve updated and made sure all browsers on my main system are up to date although the other systems are lagging so I can say it’s not just the updated one.

Not sure if it’s OK, but here’s the site:  https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-cameras/W282CA/W282CA_QSG_EN_R1_web.pdf    …which is a Lorex security camera.  I had a buddy try it and it worked on his PC so that really has me stumped, especially trying all my equipment.

I’m running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, ver: 20H2. I use Foxit PDF for my files and it works just fine. Thanks for any ideas.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I can open that link and view the PDF directly in Microsoft Edge (which is an excellent PDF viewer).

Sounds to me like a problem with Foxit. Could you describe what you mean by, “I get the header, etc.”?

Well I tried again in Edge and get the same thing across all browsers (see pic). All my computers don’t have Foxit so that isn’t a problem. I get this same thing on tablets and phones. Thanks.

I can display the pdf with Chrome Version 89.0.4389.40 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

I can display the pdf with Chrome Version 89.0.4389.40 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

That’s more than I can get. I’m going to a buddy’s tomorrow with my laptop and see what happens. It’s just strange I can get all kinds of .pdf’s from other sites I go to, even my own. 🙂

You may have some updated security policy not to display online pdf… files in order to protect you from malware.

What is associated with pdf files in ‘choose default apps by type’ ?

I’ve just viewed it in Firefox ESR 78.7 fine, however, if you cannot view via multiple devices online, perhaps it’s a setting from within your access point or router? That seems to be the common denominator.

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...

I’ve just viewed it in Firefox ESR 78.7 fine, however, if you cannot view via multiple devices online, perhaps it’s a setting from within your access point or router? That seems to be the common denominator.

I was thinking the same thing so I removed my Unifi setup and just went off my modem (which I reset to factory) and still had the same result. I’m going to keep plugging away at this and hopefully find a solution. The weird part is I can get .pdf’s from a ton of other sites without issues. Maybe I’m in a bubble.

You may have some updated security policy not to display online pdf… files in order to protect you from malware.

What is associated with pdf files in ‘choose default apps by type’ ?

My browser is Google Chrome (has been for years) The .pdf is Foxit and as I mentioned, it opens .pdf’s on other pages and/or d/l them fine. Strange it effects ALL my systems, even the ones not using Foxit at all.

Try disabling Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

I put the webpage in my “allow list” page in Malware before and had issues. Even after removing the Browser Guard, it’s a no go. I’ll get back to this thread once I find out what’s going on.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Still no luck. But I was able to d/l it to my phone once I got out of my wi-fi area in town via 4G so I know it’s not the phone or tablet. I tried again today to eliminate everything except my modem router, which I reset to factory and still get nothing. Very frustrating and can’t get ahold of Comcast to see if it’s on their end. Don’t know why, just confused. On the bright side, I got to check all the other settings verifying all and they work good. I can still d/l .pdf’s from other websites as before. Strange it effects ALL my devices. Oh well, I’ll keep investigating and return with an answer (I’m sure it will be something simple or stupid).

Try to reload the page using CTRL + F5. Maybe there’s some corrupted cache that needs a refresh.

César

Try just downloading the file using the

curl

from a command prompt. Windows 10 has long sported this little used command. Use

curl –help

for more information on a plethora of options. Add

–verbose

if you have problems. Just try this first:

curl –output %tmp%\W282CA_QSG_EN_R1_web.pdf https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/security-cameras/W282CA/W282CA_QSG_EN_R1_web.pdf
      dir %tmp%\W282CA_QSG_EN_R1_web.pdf
      02/04/2021 08:23 PM 2,650,537 W282CA_QSG_EN_R1_web.pdf
      HP Compaq 6000 Pro SFF PC / Windows 10 Pro / 22H2
      Intel®Core™2 “Wolfdale” E8400 3.0 GHz / 8.00 GB

HP ProDesk 400 G5 SFF PC / Windows 11 Pro / 23H2
      Intel®Core™ “Coffee Lake” i3-8100 3.6 GHz / 16.00 GB
    Viewing 9 reply threads
    Reply To: Chrome, IE, Edge issue??

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: