Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome not updating in Windows 7

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Chrome not updating in Windows 7

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 day, 15 hours ago.

• Author

anonymous

I am in Group B Windows 7 & discovered awhile back that Chrome was not updating. I uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome so I would have the most current version. I still cannot check for updates manually without getting: Update check failed to start (error code 3 : 0 x 80004002 – system level). It used to be that Chrome would check for updates, apply them & confirm I had the most current version. Now I get a User Control window that opens asking me if I want the following program to make changes to this computer – never got that before. When I say “yes”, I get the error.

I had tech support check my computer. Suggestion was that it was a Windows Operating System issue with Chrome and thought KB4025341 (July Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 x64) might correct the issue. I have already installed KB4025337 (July Security Only).

Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas for a fix?

Thx – Gail

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #129163 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

I found this on one of the forums after reading through “uninstall/reinstall” and “remove with Revo” that didn’t work. I don’t use Chrome, but it’s worth a try.

If it happens again, try running  GoogleUpdate.exe /RegServer (elevated command prompt)  from the Google update directory (mine was C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update). This fixed the issue for me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #129293 Reply

anonymous
    • #129327 Reply

anonymous

Thx for the suggestions. So far, no fix.

• #129434 Reply

BrianL
      AskWoody Lounger

I don’t know what I did but my Chrome is build 60.  The last time I looked it was  Build 59,  so I assume that it is auto updating.  The settings section of chrome 60 is very different from the Build 59. I couldn’t find a box for check  for the newst Build.

• #129438 Reply

BrianL
      AskWoody Lounger

Found the update block. Go into settings and go to About  Google Chrome , when you open that there are two large boxes on the page.  I clicked on the version line and chrome started updating.  The newest version of Chrome for Windows 7 ,SP 1, x 64 Home Premium is Build Version 60.0.3112.101 (Official Build) (64 Bit)

• #129543 Reply

anonymous

Reply to Brian L.

It is from the About Google Chrome box you referred to that I get the error when I try to manually check for updates. I do have the current version due to the fact that I uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome. Chrome usually automatically updates, but if you go to About Google Chrome to say, check the current version, that should automatically start a check for updates & alert you to the version you have.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome not updating in Windows 7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.