News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chrome – subframes

Posted on southieguy Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Paul T 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

On my Windows 7 laptop, I run Chrome and use uBlock Origin as an extension.

Is there a way to block subframes such as Facebook and Twitter from running under other websites?

For example, when I log on here a subframe for Twitter also opens up underneath it when I look at Chrome’s task manager.

Thanks for any suggestions as to how to block such subframes.

Dick-Y

• #1849444 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

I have Chrome and don’t see the twitter frame. Can you post a screen shot?

cheers, Paul

• #1849757 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Here’s an example:

Subframes

Attachments:
    • #1851184 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

That is from the new(ish) site isolation techniques used to prevent Spectre type attacks. No need to worry.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/8owrep/how_to_kill_the_invasion_of_subframes_in_chrome/

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      b
    • #1851296 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the info. Paul T.  I’m not worried.  I am interested in being able to block subframes like Twitter and FaceBook from my laptop.

Dick-Y

• #1851381 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

You’d need to block them from loading, but that stuff is in the site code so it’s modify the page on the fly before display, much like ad blockers do.

cheers, Paul

• #1851429 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul T.  Since I had recently switched to using Chrome from IE 11 on my W7 laptop, I was hoping some Chrome users might have figured out a way to block such parasites as Twitter and FaceBook latching on as subframes.

Modifying such pages on the fly is waaaaay beyond my capabilities unfortunately.

Dick-Y

• #1854004 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Stick to uBlock and add a cookie cleaner, like Vanilla cookie manager. This will clean most of the tracking.

cheers, Paul

• #1854193 Reply

southieguy
      AskWoody Plus

Thanks Paul T.

I have decided to switch to Firefox rather than try to fight all the tracking and adware that Chrome piles on with.

Hopefully that will make for a better experience for me.  We’ll see.

Best,

Dick-Y

• #1855022 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Firefox still needs ad-blocking and cookie removal add-ons. There isn’t much in it once you have those things in place.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chrome – subframes

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.