• Chrome : Sunsetting support for Windows 7 / 8.1 in early 2023

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Questions: Browsers and desktop software » Other browsers » Chrome : Sunsetting support for Windows 7 / 8.1 in early 2023

Author
    Topic

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/185534985/sunsetting-support-for-windows-7-8-1-in-early-2023?hl=en

Hey all,

With the release of Chrome 110 (tentatively scheduled for February 7th, 2023), we’ll officially end support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. You’ll need to ensure your device is running Windows 10 or later to continue receiving future Chrome releases. This matches Microsoft’s end of support for Windows 7 ESU and Windows 8.1 extended support on January 10th, 2023…

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I don’t use Google Chrome but would this affect Brave since it uses the Chrome engine? Any idea if other browsers have announced the same thing or is google the first one to end support?

Windows 8.1 Group B, Brave & Mozilla ESR - grudgingly & Protonmail

google the first one to end support?

Google is the first one to throw the stone.
      I think that all Chromium based browsers will follow as Google controls Chromium so there is a security risk using unsupported with security fixes, browsers.

1 user thanked author for this post.

0patch may continue to protect Brave and other browsers with its micropatches that take the place of official patches. I just checked my 0patch Console and all my browsers have received micropatches at various times.

0Patch is either reverse-engineering unissued patches or based on CVEs.
      If there won’t be any there is no way for 0Patch’s micropatchings.

I asked 0patch if they planned to provide micropatches for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers once Google stopped supporting Windows 7 next year. Here’s what they said:

We’re currently evaluating what to do about browsers on Windows 7 and will notify users via news email and blog post.

2 users thanked author for this post.

0Patch is either reverse-engineering unissued patches or based on CVEs.
        If there won’t be any there is no way for 0Patch’s micropatchings.

My bolding
        So how have 0Patch issued patches for Windows 7 that haven’t had CVE’s issued and Microsoft has declined to address at time of 0Patch delivery?
        There have been a few already, so that doesn’t equate alex, where did you get this information from?

Win8.1/R2 Hybrid lives on...

So how have 0Patch issued patches for Windows 7 that haven’t had CVE’s issued and Microsoft has declined to address at time of 0Patch delivery?

How do you think 0Patch knows (and fix) about Win 7 “security bugs” that Microsoft doesn’t ?
      I have also 0Patch pro running on Windows 7 and don’t recall any fixed Windows 7 OS security bugs apart from 0Patch own sys files and 3rd party applications.

microsoft and norton security are a bigger threat to laptops than any ransomware or virus could ever be.  i would rather use a typewriter than a cots laptop.  to this end, i’m running win 7 ultimate, and will not switch to win 10.  ever.  when it come time where i am forced to upgrade (which i can’t see happening in my lifetime), i’ll go with linux

not being forced into updates is the biggest advantage win 7 has going for it.  could possibly be chrome’s biggest advantage also

not being forced into updates is the biggest advantage win 7

You are not forced to update on Windows 10/11 too.

what you say may be true, depending on the version

business people are so short sighted that they try to save a dollar purchasing ‘home’ editions for their business.  then spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on technical support

these are the people i am referring to

my second greatest support regret is not having my customers purchase new professional licenses for their business

business people are so short sighted that they try to save a dollar purchasing ‘home’ editions for their business

Not the business people I know. Home editions are not licensed for business use.

Maybe try to associate with a better class of “business people”?

Hope this helps.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    Reply To: Chrome : Sunsetting support for Windows 7 / 8.1 in early 2023

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: